FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ron Brinkman Chimes In

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Brown
Ron Brinkman Chimes In
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:55:05 pm

This was in a link within a link on another thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread. Ron Brinkman of Shake and Nuke fame, and who dealt with Apple when Shake was acquired has this to say:

"So if you’re really a professional you shouldn’t want to be reliant on software from a company like Apple. Because your heart will be broken. Because they’re not reliant on you. Use Apple’s tools to take you as far as they can – they’re an incredible bargain in terms of price-performance. But once you’re ready to move up to the next level, find yourself a software provider whose life-blood flows only as long as they keep their professional customers happy. It only makes sense."

Ron Brinkman

http://digitalcomposting.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/x-vs-pro/

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
Re: Ron Brinkman Chimes In
on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:13:42 pm

I saw this posted on here a few times, and to be honest, I don't know what to make of it.

How do we take this? It smells a little like sour grapes, but certainly has valid points. I also have to wonder about his "10,000 high end" editor number. I would think that those people are not held to one system/software platform.

Where it puts us, I don't know, but I'm taking this blog post with a grain of salt.

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:34:00 pm

My take and especially after reading some of the history of the business:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/8AA115DC-2398-456E-9319-FE5...

is that it's a pretty cutthroat business where companies are acquired in an effort to put other companies out of business. I think he's saying this move is Steve Jobs all the way and Apple has a history of not being concerned if a few guys lose their jobs. It's about domination, not about looking after the little guy.

Return to posts index

Mark Bein
on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:32:56 pm

[Robert Brown] "find yourself a software provider whose life-blood flows only as long as they keep their professional customers happy"

one might add:
find yourself a software provider who doesn't have a de facto monopoly,
isn't threatened with bankruptcy, isn't willing to leave your platform for money,
is not prepared to sell off his product, is not charging money you might not be
able to afford sometime...etc.

does this leave any software provider?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]