FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Grading Central thread regarding Premiere P3 displays (Modern Mac Laptops, etc) not working right. Just a FYI.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Color Grading Central thread regarding Premiere P3 displays (Modern Mac Laptops, etc) not working right. Just a FYI.
on May 18, 2018 at 8:28:22 pm

Basically a discussion of how if you don’t have a separate calibrated broadcast Monitor setup. You can get inconsistent results between what you see inside your grading software and the actual output you get?

The link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/colorgradingcentral/permalink/1798220426887...

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Color Grading Central thread regarding Premiere P3 displays (Modern Mac Laptops, etc) not working right. Just a FYI.
on May 18, 2018 at 8:35:09 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on May 19, 2018 at 12:05:35 am

EVERY application, as viewed on any computer screen, will display incorrect colors in the viewer. Some are better than others, but none are correct. Note that if your display is set to P3 (modern Mac displays), your reds will be inherently more vibrant than they are in Rec709 (broadcast) or over the web on any non-P3 display.

As an aside, you can also open a web page in three different browsers and also get different results. The downside of relying on general purpose computer displays for color evaluation.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Color Grading Central thread regarding Premiere P3 displays (Modern Mac Laptops, etc) not working right. Just a FYI.
on May 19, 2018 at 12:41:08 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on May 19, 2018 at 12:49:51 am

[Oliver Peters] "Some are better than others, but none are correct."

So if we can agree on that - then it stands to reason that you'd want the system that is the closest to correct on the widest number of expected consumer screens.

Unless I read it wrong, the post said pretty clearly that currently, the closest dependable match is work coming out of FCP X on a Mac P3 system and displayed on iPhones - since they conform to Color Sync - and, at least in the US, iOS devices are the most common displays.

That seems to be what Denver Riddle was saying, unless I read it wrong.

So, one less thing I have to spend too much time second guessing.

Cool.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 19, 2018 at 2:01:13 am

[Bill Davis] "Unless I read it wrong, the post said pretty clearly that currently, the closest dependable match is work coming out of FCP X on a Mac P3 system and displayed on iPhones - since they conform to Color Sync - and, at least in the US, iOS devices are the most common displays. "

That's not my experience, because generally they all look different when played through either QT Player or VLC or Switch, and even more different once it comes from YouTube. Of course, people rarely make such comparisons side-by-side, so if it looks good, it's OK. Usually the differences are contrast, gamma, and saturation. Tint/hue is generally OK.

Heck, you can't even guarantee that two Mac displays next to each other match. It's worse now with the iMacPros, because they are a brighter screen. I would say in general that Apple displays of various models are more consistent with each other across the board, than are matches between an HP and say a Dell. I find that running a non-Apple display on a Mac can be very frustrating if you are picky about color. And yes, X does seem pretty consistent. However, for color accuracy, I would give the edge to the iPad displays over all the others.

However, when it comes to grading, I still get more predictable results when I'm using either an i/o device (AJA or BMD) to a video monitor, or HDMI via a/v output to a consumer panel (TV set). That seems to hold true even for web and mobile devices. This also neutralizes viewer differences across various apps.

BTW - if you want actual color management that the user can access, there's After Effects and Resolve.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 21, 2018 at 3:37:12 pm

Client in color correction session: "Which monitor should I be looking at?"

Colorist: "Which one do you like?"

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]