FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X can you assemble projects into a master timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Natteau
FCP X can you assemble projects into a master timeline?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:55:42 pm

I plan to make a long format documentary with FCP X and my doc-film will have 12 parts or chapters.

In FCP X then, should each chapter or part be a "project"? And is it possible to make a master timeline composed of 12 projects? Or is not possible to assemble projects together? So far I've been unable to do this. Tried copy and paste but that doesn't seem to work for copy and pasting one project into another's timeline.

I'm just trying to avoid having a 90 minute timeline where I would constantly be zooming in and out. I'd rather be able to work with 12 timelines, one timeline for each chapter. Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Michael Reiersgaard
Re: FCP X can you assemble projects into a master timeline?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:03:17 pm

You could make each chapter a compound clip. When you double click a compound clip in your master timeline you are able to edit just the chapter. You can also create or break apart compound clips at any time.

-Michael

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 12, 2011 at 12:40:08 am

You can also make Compound Clips within the Event Browser- which is a simple way to create scene by scene/chapter by chapter timelines that can then be dropped into a 'master project.'

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 12, 2011 at 1:36:41 am

If you are planning to finish the doco in sound post or grade outside of FCP X, then talk to your facilities that will be doing the finish work BEFORE you start with FCP X, please!

I am at the grade/online/sound post end of the industry and until further notice, FCP X jobs are not in my recommended workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]