FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 15 Beta 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Resolve 15 Beta 3
on May 16, 2018 at 2:33:35 am

The newest beta version is now available. Some of the Fusion capabilties such as Fusion tracking has made its way into the free version. While this is exciting I have to wonder if this is a good move. I would not mind paying an annual update fee if the software could be improved and be more stable. Discuss.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Resolve 15 Beta 3
on May 16, 2018 at 11:12:35 am

Reminds me of the Avid Media Composer, Avid Express, Avid Express Pro days from Avid. Confusing product line with odd pricing and an odd array of features that were either included or not in any one software. Foggy recall on my end, but I think those were the system names...

I started a company based around an Avid Express Pro (with an FCP-L suite) and could do about 90% of what a MC could do at a much lower price. National spot clients had no idea it was not a “real Avid”. Freelance editors barely noticed.

Plus, it was made known that if you loaded MC user settings onto the Xpress Pro system, you got a very nearly identical system.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 16, 2018 at 12:07:20 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on May 16, 2018 at 12:07:39 pm

It was Xpress, BTW. But how do you make that analogy? BMD's product strategy is very clear and concise.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 16, 2018 at 12:52:43 pm

"Some of the Fusion capabilties such as Fusion tracking has made its way into the free version. While this is exciting I have to wonder if this is a good move."

Based on this statement from David above.

[Oliver Peters] "BMD's product strategy is very clear and concise."

Do tell...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 16, 2018 at 1:25:43 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Based on this statement from David above."

Remember that you are making statements and evaluations based on an in-progress, beta version. We all know the goal is integration of as much of Fusion's features into Resolve, as possible. That might not make complete sense, so down the road there may still be many valid reasons why Fusion will still exist as its own standalone product, too. In any case, such integration is a several-year-long process. That's still lightyears compared with most other developers' pace.

[Scott Witthaus] "Do tell..."

In the BMD software line, there are 4 products: Resolve Studio (paid), Resolve (free), Fusion Studio (paid) and Fusion (free). Generally, the free version is a subset of the paid version with a few minor restrictions. There are some slight variations in the App Store versions of these, due to Apple's sandboxing requirements.

That's quite a bit different than Media Composer, Xpress, Xpress Pro, Symphony, etc. There you had variations like which options were or were not included. A wide range of pricing differences. Hardware requirements differed. Core features, like frame rates and even window layout differed. So, yes, confusing.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 17, 2018 at 12:47:27 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on May 17, 2018 at 12:57:23 am

[David Mathis]" I would not mind paying an annual update fee if the software could be improved and be more stable. Discuss."

Well at the moment BM are doing this for you for free. They are developing and improving Resolve at a very fast rate and updates are free. Grant Petty has often stated he doesn't favor a subscription model, so that will not happen. The current Resolve 15 is in beta so don't expect stability. That said all NLEs have crashes for various reasons. I don't find release versions of Resolve to be particularly unstable, but I'm on a home built Win 10 PC so there may be issues with other hardware & OS versions.

So you have what you desire already. The software has quite astonishing development and improvement in both features, speed and reliability in my experience over the past four years. All for free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]