Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: The Competition?
on May 15, 2018 at 3:52:42 pm

Thanks for sharing. Not sure why you're calling it the competition though. I'm always a fan of new tools that can make my workflow easier.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 15, 2018 at 5:09:12 pm

Bu competition I meant to more "traditional" creation options that we tend to debate here...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 15, 2018 at 11:22:31 pm

Look ! It's FREE, and I produced my multi million dollar feature film - and now I am rich and married to a Kardashian, all using FREE tools ! WOO HOO - I had lobster for dinner, and I drive a Ferrari, and I did it all with FREE tools, because I am a CREATIVE GENIUS.

There are countless super talented musicians that sit in their basement, with their FREE audio tools, making wonderful music. None of them can afford to buy any of the sponsored products that you see advertise here on Creative Cow. Your incredible talent will not pay for medical insurance, or a car, or dinner. I am so sick of this crap.

The people that CAN purchase an iMac Pro, and FCP X, and the plug ins, and drive arrays, and monitors, etc. that we see advertised on Creative Cow, are PROFESSIONALS, that make their living from working in the professional entertainment industry (professional means earning money). When this becomes the "you too can be a video star" website, I will no longer participate. I will become a manager at McDonnalds, and NO, you can't have a free cheeseburger, just because you made a really cool video with your FREE tools (with the computer that grandma bought for you for graduation). The guy emptying the trash bins out the back deserves that cheeseburger MUCH more than you do, Mr. Creative. You can starve.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 16, 2018 at 12:38:46 am

Dunno Bob...tell this to all the "YouTube" stars. Many use iMovie or similar...until they make tons, and then get better equipment. But they start somewhere. So did many a garage band. The Rolling Stones didn't always have the top of the line equipment. Talent goes a LONG way.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 16, 2018 at 4:59:32 pm

OTOH, the over-arching rule has always been: Adapt or Die.

If you choose to keep doing the same thing, in the same way - while the environment around you is radically changing - your days are numbered.

Period.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 16, 2018 at 5:15:11 pm

Bill -

The overarching rule in the corporate world has always been adapt or die. The overarching rule in the creative world will always be "Do the best work you can with the tools you are comfortable with." There are still successful artists doing paper collage, shooting with 8 x 10 film cameras, with 35 and 16mm film cameras, even pinhole cameras, for God's sake! The only people who are trying to sell the Adapt or Die! mantra are the people who are making money on the latest "you have to use this or you're not talented!" software, hardware, or technology.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 17, 2018 at 1:02:55 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] ""Do the best work you can with the tools you are comfortable with.""

Well, sure.

And I'm positive there will always be iconoclastic writers out there banging away on a Smith Corona or contentedly uncapping their Mont Blancs in order to get their thoughts down.

Heck, I think I might have spied an old IBM Selectric on the desk of Tom Wolf in one of his obit photos this past week, and God Bless his talent with that.

But nobody here thinks that isn't the exception to the rule.

Sometimes, advancements (e.g. word processing) ACTUALLY improves the creative flow for the overwhelming number of practitioners who need to get their work done.

And so the industry moves on.

That's all I'm saying. (And I'm pretty sure you know, down deep, that's the case.)

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on May 16, 2018 at 5:16:06 pm

Great response, Bob, as always (-:

BTW: It was really great finally meeting you in person at NAB. We may be promoting different companies right now, but you will always have my deepest respect.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2018 at 7:58:08 pm

Why do I get the feeling that not everyone watched the video...

On the free side I use WordPress, Wunderlist, YouTube, MPEG Stream clip, Omni Disksweeper, Slack, Evernote, Trello, Open Office, WeTransfer, etc., but I also pay for things like Dropbox, Frame.io, Vimeo, WeTransfer (for big files), WordPress plugins/themes, so it's certainly a horses for courses thing. Blender has been around for 20yrs yet that hasn't killed the market for 3D software, and I'm still waiting for the late 90s geek prediction that Linux will take over the desktop space. 😉

Competition has many facets; price, perceived value, current market conditions, etc.,

Also, how is Resolve not the #1 free thing on his list? ;)

Return to posts index

Tony West
on May 17, 2018 at 3:09:04 am

[Andrew Kimery] "how is Resolve not the #1 free thing on his list? ;)"

He said "easiest to use" iMovie is "easier" to use than Resolve ; )

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 17, 2018 at 3:50:35 am

[Tony West] "He said "easiest to use" iMovie is "easier" to use than Resolve";)

Fair point. It should at least get an honorable mention though! haha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]