FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Sequence Workflow: FCP X Workarounds

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nabil Laoudji
Multiple Sequence Workflow: FCP X Workarounds
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:32:16 pm

Hi all,

I just finished interviewing ~20 people on camera. As I re-watch my interviews, I hope to pick out 5 or so major themes, which I'll connect to create a mini documentary.

When editing in FCP7, I'd create a new sequence for each theme, open all sequences up as tabs, and drop the relevant clips from each interview to the relevant tab. I'd then polish up each individual sequence, and throw it into a master timeline for final editing.

I've found 2 workarounds for this in FCPX, but they both fall short. Curious to know whether you have any other suggestions.

Workaround 1: Create 5 different projects, treat those as my sequences. Problem: The projects are alphabetical, and my sequences have a specific order that I'd like to keep. I can number them to force this order, but it's a pain especially as new themes / sequences may arise as I'm viewing video (In FCP 7 I'd simply drag-and-drop the tabs into the order that I wanted).

Workaround 2: Create 5 compound clips, one for each theme or sequence. Problem: The compound clips don't have any labels, so hard to tell which compound clip is for which theme.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Multiple Sequence Workflow: FCP X Workarounds
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:54:36 pm

[Nabil Laoudji] "Problem: The compound clips don't have any labels, so hard to tell which compound clip is for which theme."

Name Compound Clips in the Inspector on the right. If you go into Extended View (lower left of Inspector) you'll also see fields like Reel, Scene, Take. If you used the Gear on the lower right of that window you can add Custom Metadata field and if you look at Apply Custom Name, you'll see lots of interesting stuff.

Return to posts index

Nabil Laoudji
Re: Multiple Sequence Workflow: FCP X Workarounds
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:20:05 am

oh that's cool; hadn't noticed this. thanks Craig ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]