FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anne Coates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Miller
Anne Coates
on May 9, 2018 at 6:04:54 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/anne-v-coates-oscar-winning-film-edit...

I would have killed to have had her participate in some of our discussions on the craft of editing!

Shawn

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Anne Coates
on May 9, 2018 at 9:32:08 pm

So agree.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 9, 2018 at 11:13:41 pm

I would also have loved to hear the opinions of the late Gerry Hambling (Midnight Express, Fame, Mississippi Burning, The Commitments). I met him over thirty years ago and had a great conversation about a scene in Mississippi Burning.

He refused to move from the moviola to the flat bed. I don't know what he thought about linear tape and non linear NLEs. He got great results from using a tool that suited his style and muscle memory.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 14, 2018 at 6:39:22 pm

One of the things I've been amused to observe is that she'd worked as many movies that were nominated for Razzies (7!) as were nominated for Oscars. That's no reflection on the quality of her work, of course, which serves as a reminder that most bad movies are made by a lot of people doing a lot of excellent work.

So I don't think it's at all disrespectful to suggest that, while we celebrate her work on classics of varying degrees including Lawrence, Becket, and Out of Sight (not kidding, btw -- she was nominated for Oscar, BAFTA, and ACE awards for her work on this), that we also remember that a legendary career can also include these:

I actually enjoyed that one quite a bit, and saw it twice in its initial release, plus a few more times on TV. This one, not so much.

Have some fun digging deep into her IMDb profile. I think you'll be amazed by both the peaks and the valleys.

I have this conversation a lot with VFX artists in particular, since there's often a strong correlation between a lot of VFX and a movie that has a lot of ways of going wrong. They invest a lot of effort, and sometimes multiple years of their lives, doing great work on movies that they themselves don't enjoy. It's why, other than the gentle fun here in the service of a larger point, I try not to say anything bad about any movie (outside the house that is!). I don't want even strangers in a theater thinking that I don't understand the extraordinary amount of effort that goes into movies that wind up falling short of the mark. If anything, I'd want to tell THEM about the work we and our peers do.

Honestly, it's kind of a miracle that ANY movies wind up any good, all the more reason to celebrate a career like Anne's that had so many great ones in it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]