FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Smart Move from Adobe

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
OT: Smart Move from Adobe
on May 7, 2018 at 4:45:10 pm

apologies if this has already been posted: https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/adobe-creative-cloud-price-drops-...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: OT: Smart Move from Adobe
on May 7, 2018 at 7:10:02 pm

They've probably just noticed that Affinity and Blackmagic are offering serious cheaper competition with no subscription.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 7, 2018 at 7:57:19 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "They've probably just noticed that Affinity and Blackmagic are offering serious cheaper competition with no subscription."

I hadn't thought about Resolve in education. It seems like they really could change the creative software landscape in a generation or two. World class, cross platform editing, color, audio post and VFX in a single package... for free... just astounding. I wonder how many TV and film production programs will be built entirely around Blackmagic's offerings. I also wonder what that will mean for the future of creative software.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 7, 2018 at 9:23:52 pm

I have been asking myself that same question. Perhaps when Resolve 15 is out of the beta stage the answer shall be more clear. This is a good move on the part of Adobe but they also need to have special pricing for their long term user base as well. No question the Fusion page in Resolve is interesting. I have been playing with it some and there is lots of potential in it. With that said, I doubt Adobe will go into "panic" mode anytime soon. They have the subscription level they want and anyone existing the rental only option will be of little consequence because the numbers will not be significant enough. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 8, 2018 at 2:41:21 am

I don’t see Resolve going anywhere in K-12. At that level you are just teaching storytelling. The technology should not impede that learning and Resolve is probably way too much tech for that level of learning. Maybe in undergrad film or b’cast schools and even then I have my doubts. Having taught editorial storytelling to newbies on traditional track based editors and on X, you want the technology to get out of the way as much as possible in the learning process. From real-world experience, X does that better than traditional products.

That said, Photoshop alone is worth the $5 for K-12....

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 8, 2018 at 4:35:40 am

[Scott Witthaus] "I don’t see Resolve going anywhere in K-12. At that level you are just teaching storytelling. The technology should not impede that learning and Resolve is probably way too much tech for that level of learning. Maybe in undergrad film or b’cast schools and even then I have my doubts. Having taught editorial storytelling to newbies on traditional track based editors and on X, you want the technology to get out of the way as much as possible in the learning process. From real-world experience, X does that better than traditional products.

That said, Photoshop alone is worth the $5 for K-12...."

I'm not so sure. Over the years, I've known plenty of junior high and high school kids who taught themselves programs like Blender, or Photoshop or 3DS MAX etc... mostly without guidance, and 3D applications are a LOT harder to learn than any NLE. Do a YouTube search, kids are doing some pretty amazing things. I don't think Resolve is that hard.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 8, 2018 at 5:20:11 am

I do think Adobe will always have its place both in the classroom and the film industry. Nothing wrong with learning as many applications as possible. Not everyone will like Adobe because of their business model but I don’t hold a grudge against anyone who chooses to go with them. We should keep an open mind otherwise we will miss out on opportunities. The more programs everyone can learn the better.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on May 8, 2018 at 7:20:45 am

[Shawn Miller] "and 3D applications are a LOT harder to learn than any NLE."

You're not joking there. All the talk of the difficulties of learning new NLE programs in here often does my head in. You can pick up any of the NLEs and just start using them intuitively. To learn them properly takes no time at all. On the other hand there's learning 3ds Max and rendering with VRay. Whole different world where the difference in diffculty to learn the app is almost impossible to convey but let me give it a go: if learning FCP for me was like picking up the basics on a go cart then learning 3ds Max is like learning to fly an F-16. I've been learning intensively for months and still feel helpless at times.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 8, 2018 at 12:47:22 pm

try learning Unity.....oy.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 8, 2018 at 4:41:01 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "try learning Unity.....oy."

Yup, STEEEP learning curve... that's why I'm amazed at the level of proficiency some of these kids are gaining just by watching tutorials and well, building things. Same with Z-brush, Maya, et al.

I think this is what Grant Petty is really after with the BMD cinema cameras and their post production software - he seems to want young people to get out there and create. It's something that I've come to respect about BMD's vision, from the outside, they look like they "see" creative people in a way that maybe Adobe, Apple and AVID just can't.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2018 at 6:39:08 pm

[Shawn Miller] "he seems to want young people to get out there and create. "

I think he wants to run a profitable business in the process. I do think BMD is making very smart moves to build an "ecosystem," quite possibly better than Apple is doing (at least for video).

If you were an aspiring filmmaker with limited financial resources would you chose:
iMovie, Resolve, Avid First?
While iMovie might have been the stepping stone to FCPX, Resolves gets in you in for less money.
And if you buy their upcoming BMPCC4K for $1295 you get the paid version of Resolve included.
Obviously both Apple and BMD want to hook you into a hardware ecosystem where their "real money" is but, at least as far as creatives go, BMD offers a more attractive path.
Apple is iPhone or iPad and iMovie and FCPX but consider the price BMPCC4K w/Resolve is price competitive.

Perhaps Apple should be include FCPX with each computer purchase. Perhaps include it with an iPhone or iPad purchase with the hope it encourages the buyer to get a Mac rather than a PC.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on May 9, 2018 at 9:48:17 pm

Editing in Resolve 15 is much like all the other track based NLEs - though not FCPX of course.

Coming from - most recently - PPro CC, it took me about 15 minutes to get an edit going. I picked a drama piece shot by a fellow lecturer and some students, with separate sound. R15 has automatic syncing built in, but it didn't want to work on my boarded rushes so I had to hand sync all the shots. A bit irritating but I expect it will come right. I dragged and dropped the synced clips into a new bin and forgot about the originals.

After that cutting and trimming was straightforward, though I had to hunt around for the rubber band sound level stuff. I think I could have just used Fairlight, but I'm not familiar with that yet.

For the uni, there are enormous advantages - it's just like most of the others, and it's free, both at the uni and for students at home. No complicated licencing as we have at the moment with PPro.

At a lesser, nitty gritty, level, the uni version of PPro is distributed from a central point. We use it as a playback system in the studio, but the central version doesn't have the BM drivers needed for the Decklink card. We have to use a standalone. Oops - licencing, and much fiddling around. Not totally surprisingly, with R15 you just tick the Decklink box.

I haven't done much with node based software, but there's an increasing amount of it around, so familarity with Fusion would give students a baseline for other node type software of whatever type. And of course Color is an industry standard.

Resolve does of course run on Linux, OSX or Windows, but the uni has hundreds of cheap PCs that are regularly updated....

Bernie

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jun 16, 2018 at 4:49:47 pm

Let me just point out that while this may be a dandy move for Adobe (and their bank account), it's a really DUMB move for students that are not clear on the concept. Why? Because they don't grasp that their super-duper-special-deal ENDS abruptly the day they leave school. Oops. What's that? You can't access your own work? Your own intellectual property? Why sure you can! Just pay us TEN TIMES what you have been until now! Yay.

Suddenly not such a great deal, eh?

Resolve? I doubt it, unless it improves and is adopted A LOT more. Great price tag, sure. Just too bad that you can't get any video signal IN OR OUT without buying… you got it… BMD hardware. Oops. Not so cheap after all. And honestly… how long can BMD hold that whole model? Who knows? But I find it rather ridiculous when I hear people question FCP's potential demise when I look at companies such as BMD and Avid and where they stand as a whole.

In contrast: Apple. They have educational licenses for a measly $199 (get discounted iTunes cards and it's even less).That gets you Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion, Compressor and MainStage. And guess what? FOR LIFE. Absolutely nothing changes once you leave school. Except maybe having to buy a Mac, which the schools will generally already have had anyway.

Guess what my students are opting for?

But to each his own, right? The next few years should be interesting as far as all this goes.

- RK

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 16, 2018 at 5:44:21 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Resolve? I doubt it, unless it improves and is adopted A LOT more."

This sure sounds like a comment from someone who hasn't tried it out. Resolve 15 is a fantastic piece of software that may not be highly adopted yet but the future of that program is very bright. Editor, color, vfx and sound editor all in one and basically free. I think people need to give Resolve a try before making grand statements against it.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 16, 2018 at 10:11:42 pm

I can’t believe the amount of disparaging remarks I have seen on Facebook including a group that I am an admin in. One troll really did not like Adobe After Effects for whatever reason. He said it needed to be burned. Sometimes it feels like certain posts in here are borderline on being of that mentality. Another genius was pretty nuch saying Final Cut Pro X was for rich people. Does it really matter what software someone uses? Granted there is some bias in all of us but pissing on others with childish insults is so not cool. I may not use Premiere Pro but at the same time I am not going to troll someone who enjoys working with it. Why can’t we stop with the "it’s garbage" posts? Keep the disagreements civil.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 17, 2018 at 9:42:24 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Resolve? I doubt it, unless it improves and is adopted A LOT more. Great price tag, sure. Just too bad that you can't get any video signal IN OR OUT without buying… you got it… BMD hardware. Oops. Not so cheap after all."

Given that a BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k costs £165.98 here in the UK, it would seem to be rather cheaper than subscribing to Adobe. Runs on PC or Mac.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 17, 2018 at 5:08:21 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "[Robin S. Kurz] "Resolve? I doubt it, unless it improves and is adopted A LOT more. Great price tag, sure. Just too bad that you can't get any video signal IN OR OUT without buying… you got it… BMD hardware. Oops. Not so cheap after all."

Given that a BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k costs £165.98 here in the UK, it would seem to be rather cheaper than subscribing to Adobe. Runs on PC or Mac.
"

Exactly, you also need to buy hardware to get video in to FCPX as well so you'd probably end up buying BMD anyway as it's so cheap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]