FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alternative to DVD Studio Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Mosca
Alternative to DVD Studio Pro?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:36:19 pm

Assuming a new DVD Studio Pro isn't coming soon, any suggestions of where to go next? (I understand some DVD authoring is supposed to be included in FCX, however it seems like this would really slow me down. Drag and drop and go works well for me.)

Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Alternative to DVD Studio Pro?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:50:48 pm

why not just keep using it?

It won't expire and does just about everything one could want in a dvd app.

If you mean for blu-ray then dostudio is the logical choice.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:08:52 pm

I would, but I'm a version skipper... as in I typically only buy every other iteration of something, so I have FCStudio 2, which will not be useable with Lion.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:30:03 pm

DVDSP hasn't been upgraded since 2005. Same version is in FCS 2 as is in FCS 3. And FCS 1 I believe. Are you running 4.2.2? It's just the installer you're going to have a problem with. I would just clone your snow leopard drive so you can always copy over any apps like DVDSP if your Lion system gets corrupted.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:22:44 am

[Bret Williams] "It's just the installer you're going to have a problem with. I would just clone your snow leopard drive so you can always copy over any apps like DVDSP if your Lion system gets corrupted.
"

.....except copying DVDSP from your cloned drive onto your new boot disk won't work, you need an installer.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:12:47 pm

[Bobby Mosca] "Assuming a new DVD Studio Pro isn't coming soon"

Err. at this point you should assume "coming --> never".

If the X version of "Share" to make a single DVD works as well as it did in FCP7, then why not use that? Otherwise, why wouldn't it be possible to export to Compressor, make your m2v and ac3 files as per traditional workflow...? Or did they take out the DVD droplets?

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:30:33 pm

I often need to author dvd's with several pages of menus, with each menu having several tracks attached. Is this possible in FCX?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:31:04 pm

FCPX's DVD and Blu-Ray burning is the same as Compressor 3 and FCP 7 share options from what I can tell.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:43:31 pm

Sounds like a no, Paul.

So, (not to sound impatient, but) back to the original question: alternatives to DVDSP?

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
on Jul 11, 2011 at 6:47:23 pm

Oh, I'm not talking about burning. I'm talking about authoring. Is authoring available in FCX?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:01:11 pm

No, there is no authoring tools in FCPX for DVD or BD. You can burn off simple pop'n'play discs but nothing more. Adobe Encore is an alternative. I've never used it so I can't offer an opinion on it.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:16:07 pm

Encore is the alternative on the Mac. It is clunky and not nearly as polished as DVDSP. I've been using Encore for a few years now to make Blu-Rays. I use DVDSP for SD DVDs.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html
http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html
TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:16:30 pm

I think Encore is bundled with Adobe's production suite, so I'm not quite ready to completely jump ship and invest that much.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 11, 2011 at 8:27:14 pm

Just keep using DVDSP. It hasn't changed much since Studio 2... nor has anything in the DVD spec.
Clone your drive, as has been suggested, as insurance.

You can still do you encoding in Compressor 4, and author in DVDSP.

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:58:07 pm

Encore comes with Premier Pro. You cant buy Encore as single app. Its big pluses are its integration PPro, After Effects, and Photoshop. DVDSP is slicker and easier to use, but Encore is still pretty cool, plus it authors BlueRay.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 12, 2011 at 12:41:06 am

Encore doesn't come anywhere close to DVDSP in functionlity. The only option is keep using DVDSP or head over to PC and buy DVD Lab or Scenarist.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:25:16 am

Adobe Encore works well. Just did a Blu-Ray with several menus and whatnot. I'm getting the hang of it; very similar to DVDSP, actually.

Chris

Return to posts index

anthony mouchonnet
on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:35:56 am

I am used Encore for BRD but DVDSP for DVDs. I had several problems in Encore when I was making a DVD from a BRD based authoring.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jul 12, 2011 at 1:41:51 pm

Okay, so here's what I'm hearing:

I can keep using DVDSP on Lion if it's already installed when I eventually upgrade the OS... probably. This has the ring of uncertainty and of course, it's temporary.

I can spend the money for Premeire to get Encore, which feels like buying a car for the sweet rims.

So if we're saying, in the long run, I'm basically stuck using iDVD, I might jump off something.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:35:13 pm

[Bobby Mosca] "So if we're saying, in the long run, I'm basically stuck using iDVD, I might jump off something."

Heh, iDVD is also semi-retired. It's still included with iLife '11, but it didn't get an update, it's not sold in the App Store, and there probably won't be a new version.

Apple didn't kill DVDSP because Apple doesn't care about pros... they killed DVDSP because they don't care about discs. The same logic applies to the consumer product.

I'd say there's an 80% chance the next round of MacBook Pros (which are, remember, Apple's best-selling model line these days) won't even have built-in optical drives.

I understand why Apple is killing DVDSP, but it's kind of annoying. Encore is quirky as hell, in my experience, and is the closest thing to a reasonable alternative on the platform.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:44:04 pm

[Chris Kenny]Apple didn't kill DVDSP because Apple doesn't care about pros... they killed DVDSP because they don't care about discs.

So as a "pro", you're okay with telling a client, "Sorry, I can't deliver on DVD like you asked, but I can get you a YouTube-ready version!"

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:45:07 pm

[Gary Huff] "So as a "pro", you're okay with telling a client, "Sorry, I can't deliver on DVD like you asked, but I can get you a YouTube-ready version!""

No, I'll use another tool. Your implicit argument here seems to be that Apple doesn't care about pros because they don't offer a DVD authoring tool, which some pros need. But this makes no sense. Does Adobe not care about pros because they don't offer a 3D app? Does Autodesk not care about pros because they focus on online tools and don't offer offline tools? It's not necessary for any one particular company to offer a tool in every category.

Incidentally, our clients regularly ask for web-ready encodes of projects these days. Virtually always for the short films and music videos we work on, and usually for feature film trailers as well. The sneering "Oh, this is only for teenagers" tone regarding FCP X's strong support for web exports is ludicrous. Internet video is import these days, and pros work with it all the time.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:19:07 pm

[Bobby Mosca] "Okay, so here's what I'm hearing:

I can keep using DVDSP on Lion if it's already installed when I eventually upgrade the OS... probably. This has the ring of uncertainty and of course, it's temporary."

Clone your boot drive now with DVDSP on it. Even if Lion or some future OS won't work with DVDSP, all you have to do is boot off that drive and you can make your DVD.

Otherwise...you have to start looking at Bootcamp and PC alternatives, if you don't want to use Encore.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]