FORUMS: list search recent posts

i ❤ FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
i ❤ FCPX
on May 4, 2018 at 9:24:14 am

The sun is shining and I'm blasting my way through edits here on FCPX - STILL enjoying using it on a daily basis, despite some of the more curmudgeonly discussions that go on here and the many doubts that are raised about how it fits into certain workflows or whether "Hollywood" uses it, for me I have to say it's by far and away the most enjoyable NLE I've ever used (and I've used most of them over the last 25 years!)

Whenever someone mentions that they can cut faster on FCPX, there's always a challenge from people to "prove it" well it's not a simple as that because I cut faster on FCPX simply because I'm enjoying using it. I'm sure other people will say the same about whatever NLE they enjoy using.

How do other FCPX users feel about it?

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: i ❤ FCPX
on May 4, 2018 at 12:04:29 pm

Agreed, 100 percent.

Yes of course I have a wish list of stuff I wish FCPX had, but the pro's far outweigh the cons for me.

I'm so used to it now that I can't imagine myself going back to tracks. I talked to professionals a couple of years ago, and I told them that the beauty of the Roles concept was that it was based on CONTENT instead of a numbering system. You assigned DIALOGUE, SOUND, MUSIC, and then you had the beauty of organization (which is the nr 1 point of tracks) but with all the benefits of the magnetic timeline.
I still think this is a beautiful concept from which I think "why didn't anyone think about that earlier?"
With 10.3, Apple supercharged it with the audio lanes and coloring, finally exploiting the potential they had with the introduction of Roles. And of course I'm sure more potential is left to the table untapped (audio mixer, automatic ducking like Premiere Pro now announced, etc. ...)

My first reaction to FCPX was mostly frustration and rejection, but by 10.0.6 (2012) I had switched completely. Now my muscle memory *thinks* in terms of connected storylines, primary storyline etc. ...
Anyone may disagree, and I know it sounds simplistic, but every time I see demos of Premiere and Resolve, and I cannot feel like the way their timeline works, feels backwards and old.

And I know a lot of people will say they don't care, and that's fine, but to this day I'm so curious to hear what Walter Murch would say about FCPX AFTER 10.3. I just read his great book, In the Blink of an Eye. He's a very gifted speaker and I know he went to Premiere Pro and I'm sure he's happy. I know he dissed FCPX for very valid reasons when it was released, but a lot of those reasons he mentioned before became invalid with Roles and later 10.3 and Audio Lanes. For someone who talked so much both philosophically and technically about editing (and has great insights), I'm very interested in hearing what he would think about the Magnetic Timeline in it's post 10.3 form.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 4, 2018 at 12:56:19 pm

my thoughts on FCPX = When its good - its really good.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 4, 2018 at 1:10:51 pm

[Neil Goodman] "my thoughts on FCPX = When its good - its really good."

Agreed 100% on that comment.
I edit in all three (soon four with Resolve) and can count the many times when I want to scream "why cant do this!!".
Had another last night when syncing awful scratch audio from a RED shoot with WAV files.
Ever try to Auto-Sync three video clips and with one audio clip or vice versa?

Why do I still edit in the other apps?
Well, every so often I still have to drive my wife's Chevy SUV as oppose to my Ford truck :P
That's my analogy ;)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 8, 2018 at 2:39:51 pm

[Neil Goodman] "my thoughts on FCPX = When its good - its really good."

Agreed. Just came off working for a small job on Premiere. Ugh. MHO

Good to be going back to X this afternoon!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 8, 2018 at 10:20:15 pm

[Steve Connor] "I have to say it's by far and away the most enjoyable NLE I've ever used"

That's really important. Probably more important than the speed argument.

We get down to time and motion studies here, counting keystrokes and clicking stopwatches and arguing about whether it takes longer to lasso multi-select or drag-and-lag. It's easy to forget that the computers are the machines, not us. How we feel about the tools is a real factor in the choices we make.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tony West
on May 8, 2018 at 11:26:04 pm

[Walter Soyka] "We get down to time and motion studies here, counting keystrokes and clicking stopwatches and arguing about whether it takes longer to lasso multi-select or drag-and-lag. It's easy to forget that the computers are the machines, not us. How we feel about the tools is a real factor in the choices we make."

I imagine for many they are the same thing. I don't like the program because of the color of the layout or the name or something trivial like that. I like it because it speeds up the "non-creative" parts of editing so I can spend more time on the creative, fun parts editing.

At least, that's why I like it.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 9, 2018 at 1:43:46 pm

[Walter Soyka] "That's really important. Probably more important than the speed argument.

We get down to time and motion studies here, counting keystrokes and clicking stopwatches and arguing about whether it takes longer to lasso multi-select or drag-and-lag. It's easy to forget that the computers are the machines, not us. How we feel about the tools is a real factor in the choices we make."

Agree 100%. I have some guitars I mess around with. One is a 1980's Japanese-made Stratocaster (the Japanese models were once looked down upon but now seen as really really well made guitars). Classic guitar. Another is a Telecaster knock-off. Not even sure who made it and I think I bought it for $100. But damn, that $100 Tele(ish) is really fun to play and I will choose it many times over the supposedly superior Strat. It's damn fun to play. How you feel about the tool/axel that you use can definitely have an impact on the end "product".

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 9, 2018 at 5:34:11 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "How you feel about the tool/axel that you use can definitely have an impact on the end "product"."

I can only see thinking in those terms when creating a sizzle type piece and needing a lot of visual tricks to be incorporated into the edit.

Once I start an edit all of my focus and energy is on story and virtually all of the technical recedes into the background. Whether I cut that story on Premiere, FCPX , Resolve or whatever NLE is the flavor of the month is irrelevant because all that matters in the end is the story.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 9, 2018 at 9:22:17 pm

[greg janza] "I can only see thinking in those terms when creating a sizzle type piece and needing a lot of visual tricks to be incorporated into the edit. "

I disagree. If you are having fun during the process, that shows up in the end product. If you have to hack away on a tool you don't enjoy, it WILL show up in the end. When I play the telecaster knock-off, I am having a shit-ton of fun. I think that shows up in the music (I kinda suck at guitar but still enjoy playing!).

[greg janza] "Once I start an edit all of my focus and energy is on story and virtually all of the technical recedes into the background. Whether I cut that story on Premiere, FCPX , Resolve or whatever NLE is the flavor of the month is irrelevant because all that matters in the end is the story."

This I agree with this if you combine it with my above comment. The NLE should never get in the way of the story. So the question is which NLE "stays out of the way" the most so the best story can be crafted? Maybe this is just the tool that an editor is most used to using? Could be. Inspiration comes from the work and if you are enjoying the work the product will be better.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]