FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codecs info change ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Clark
Codecs info change ?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:43:49 pm

Quick question,
Even though I've transcoded my footage it still displays H.264,Linear PCM in my Codecs: box in the Inspector info.
I'm trying to find the cause of my sometimes choppy timeline, which will disappear if I re-start FCP-X.
I'm on a MacBook Pro , 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4gb ram and a Lacie 7200 rpm 320 GB partitioned external Hard Drive ( 100 GB available ) connected by FW 800. It's a 16 min movie.
Thanking you in advance, Roger

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: Codecs info change ?
on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:31:31 pm

Roger, I believe memory is fairly inexpensive now and it may help your overall performance if your Macbook was running with 8 GB memory instead of 4 GB. It still sounds like FCP X has some areas where it either can’t keep up with something that is contending for the CPU or there may be a bug somewhere that’s causing the temporary stumbles. Regardless more memory will likely reduce the chance of this happening.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Roger Clark
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:15:34 am

Thanks Rick, I'm going for more memory but I still can't understand why the codec info does not change in the Inspector when I've transcoded it ?

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:00:30 am

Did you transcode it outside FCP X from H.264 or did you transcode it as part of the Import into FCP X or transcode it some time after you had completed the Import?

If it says it’s H.264 in the Inspector, what happens when you select a clip and try to transcode it (again)? Does it then tell you the code is already ProRes? If the answer is “yes”, that’s certainly a strange bug although perhaps there’s some hidden metadata that retains the original codec.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]