FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you stop Audio from linking to clip it is placed under?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Cowdrey
Can you stop Audio from linking to clip it is placed under?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 1:56:19 pm

I'm hoping this is not an already answered question. I have searched and found nothing. I have been working on two recent projects in X and am beginning to adapt to the software. While I have found a solution to most of my issues, one that I cannot solve is the audio following video feature.

Here's an example: You drop a few video clips into the timeline. Then, you add a music track that will play throughout the video. When you do this, the audio connects to whatever video clip it is placed under with the little vertical line (part of the magnetic timeline I assume). The problem is when you go to move this "connected" video clip, the audio shifts with it. All i want to do is place an audio bed down and be able to cut video to the music for various promotional videos I'm working on. This is about as simple as it gets in v7 but I find it extremely frustrating in X. Please someone tell me there is a simple solution to this problem!

-RTC

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
Re: Can you stop Audio from linking to clip it is placed under?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:17:18 pm

Nope. It't the idea behind FCXP.

A workaround is to add a one frame black gap at the beginning of the project and connect the music track there. I always do that because I don't want the project to start in the very first frame, but with a black one.

Leo Hans
Editor AVID - Final Cut Pro
http://www.leohans.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Cowdrey
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:39:31 pm

Thanks Leo,

I appreciate your input. Although this workaround should not be necessary, it would solve my issue sometimes. The problem is one of my projects has multiple audio clips and therefore, multiple link points. So, when you start moving things around it creates a whole mess you have to repair each and every time. I certainly see the benefit to the magnetic timeline in certain situations, but the editor should be able to choose if and when to use it. It's completely ridiculous to think that no one would ever want to edit something to a soundtrack. That's what the majority of the editing I do is all about!

-RTC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:45:41 pm

Make the row of audio clips into a Secondary Storyline (aka a Track). It will only connect at the first frame of the Storyline and not each clip.

It would be nice if there were a preference setting so you could make that the default behavior or otherwise have a row or track tool to grab all the clips on a row and make a Secondary Storyline.

You can have something akin to tracks in FCPX. They just need to make it easier to create when you need to work in that mode.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:45:02 pm

If you are timing clips to music, put the music on the Primary Storyline and attach the video to the audio. You can make a Secondary Storyline out of those video clips to be able to deal with transitions.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]