FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lion - Uh Oh

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Fromet
Lion - Uh Oh
on Jul 11, 2011 at 1:11:19 pm

Substitute "OSX LION" for "FCPX" and the reviews could be identical...

http://gizmodo.com/5819418/mac-os-x-lion-this-is-not-the-future-we-were-hop...

"Dumbed Down"
"Bad User Experience"
"Who's the target?"
"Too simple for pro's / too complex for consumers"
etc., etc...

I'm starting to think the mother ship has left...I think apple would be happy selling only iDevices and iTunes content...but then again, they do make a $H!TLOAD off them...

I wonder what the great and powerful Jobs is thinking about all this negative press...

Rick

Return to posts index

Chris Anderson
Re: Lion - Uh Oh
on Jul 11, 2011 at 3:07:29 pm

As someone who has used Lion for almost all of the betas, I disagree with a bug chunk of that review. I do think there's some usability issues that need to be worked out, but many features, such as sandboxing and Versions, will be a huge boon for productivity and stability reasons. It feels just as fast, if not faster, than Snow Leopard. I wish they had done a bit more in adding new stuff, but I don't think it's a *dumbing* down of the operating system.

Return to posts index

Ryan Pratzel
on Jul 11, 2011 at 3:27:57 pm

Gizmodo has a history of bashing Apple products. They also have a grudge with Apple over the iPhone 4 leak investigation. I take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer | Creative Liquid Productions
creativeliquid.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:29:18 pm

[Ryan Pratzel] "I take anything they say with a grain of salt."

Agreed. I’m embarrassed I read an article from that site; must be a ‘senior moment’ and I hope it doesn’t happen again!

I think I’d rather do my own thinking about Lion after using it myself. Same attitude applies to more than just Lion. Love these forums for covering the news, offering techniques, solving problems, and reading informed opinions, but that’s not the same as letting someone think for me.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 11, 2011 at 3:42:03 pm

100% agree with Chris. I too was a part of beta and watched the Lion grew up. I don't want to run down the list debunking every item I think aforementioned article got wrong. Lion is faster and robuster OS than all it's predecessors. My personal satisfaction is what you can do with your magic mouse - gestures feature works great.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
We are not alone....
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:17:24 pm

I used to think that "value added" meant under-promising and over-delivering.

I used to think that professional conduct meant doing as much as you could, instead of as little as you could "get away with". And, you know, "awesome" wasn't just an automatic response to "how are you?"

On yesterday's date, July 10, 1985, Coca-Cola re-introduced "Coca-Cola Classic", and there might be a few of us here old enough to remember that debacle, when some whiz-bang from a satellite division decided that a tweak that he had pulled in that market would result in a new era of profits. And so Project Kansas met its fate.

Props to the reviewer "Adam Grand" on the Apple FCPX sales page who thinks the new X version is "rideculously [sic] good" and can't wait to edit his next "film" next weekend. It will be tough to decide which "jaw-dropping" new "film" to try to take in among the 3 million or so that will be appearing next month.

But New Coke is not limited to retail:
Globe & Mail July 9, 2011:

On the upcoming academic publication, the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" (DSM), (decribed as the "Sears Catalog" that psychoanalysts use for diagnosis), Ian Brown writes:

Every new version of the DSM has been controversial, but the groundbreaking fifth edition of the “dictionary of disorder,” now scheduled for release in 2013, is showing symptoms of being the most contentious ever. The rough draft published on the American Psychiatric Association’s DSM website has generated so much heat (50 million hits and more than 3,000 signed comments so far) that its release has been pushed back by a year.

The proposed new edition has created so many new categories of diagnosis, and widened the definitions of so many others, that the respected editor of the last edition, Allen Frances, has accused the new editors of reckless irresponsibility.

Meanwhile, entire disorders were to be excluded from the new edition – such as narcissistic disorder (“a grandiose sense of self-importance ... requires excessive admiration”) – but the move aroused such indignation (imagine how the narcissists felt!) that the editors have had to re-include them.

I wonder if they got a letter from Apple about it, and especially that item.... also would be curious to know if "Messianic Complex" is still in there. But, you know, it appears to still be 'in beta'.

I have to add this --- the funniest line I think I ever heard in "Frasier" was Niles talking about enjoying a new biography by a narcissistic opera singer entitled "Me, Me, Me, Me". That cracks me, me, me, me up.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 12, 2011 at 12:18:13 am

I've been beta testing as well - and the article is actually wrong in a few aspects. Every time a new apple product launches, they have to post something to show up in news results. Negative articles generate more interest than positive ones. I like Lion and think that, despite all the furor over FCPX, Apple's going to have a pretty fantastic ecosystem - in six months.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]