FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X: Keywords vs. Favorites???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Natteau
FCP X: Keywords vs. Favorites???
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:18:33 am

I know that Keywords and Favorites are very powerful tools for organizing your events in FCP X.

But how do they stack up against each other? When would you want to use Keywords over Favorites and when would is it preferable to use Favorites over Keywords? Are we talking apples and oranges? Or there times when Favorites are not the right tool or when Keywords are not the right tool?

So far I've only been using Keywords and have yet to use Favorites. Just wondering if I'm using the right approach. I've been using keywords because I have hundreds of clips that I'm working with and I like how I can assign the same keyword to dozens of clips.

Return to posts index

Scott Bellefeuille
Re: FCP X: Keywords vs. Favorites???
on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:25:43 am

Favorites is a way to add in and out points to your clips so you can quickly get back to the same selection. For instance if you have a 3 minute clip with one minute of 'good' footage in the middle that you want to use you can mark that one minute range as a favorite. Then when you go back to the clip you just click on the green bar at the top of the clip that denotes the favorite range and you have the selection. If you turn on show only favorites you'll see all your clips already trimmed basically with in and out points if you've made favorites. Marking favorites in a longer clip is similar to subclipping. You can also keyword those ranges if you'd like but just keywording them doesn't give you the same functionality for subclipping or marking and retaining in and out points as easily.

Hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:26:10 am

[Scott Bellefeuille] " You can also keyword those ranges if you'd like but just keywording them doesn't give you the same functionality for subclipping or marking and retaining in and out points as easily.
"

I'm a little confused. When you keyword a range, when you look at that clip using the keyword, isn't the clip just the range you selected?

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Scott Bellefeuille
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:53:40 am

Geoff,

You're right and it works pretty well if the clip doesn't contain the keyword in more than one range. But if for instance you have a 3 minute clip and you keyword a range "Bob" in the first minute and then again in the last minute, clicking on your "Bob" collection will show you the whole clip. If those ranges were marked as favorites also and you selected view only favorites in the event browser those two ranges would appear as two separate clips.

It's a bit confusing since the capability does overlap a lot and I still haven't worked out a best practice with it yet but as far as I can tell the difference I outlined above is the major difference between them.

Cheers,

Scott

Return to posts index

Mike Stanley
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:19:41 am

Hi,

How do you "select view only favorites" I can't seem to find a menu that says that...

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Scott Bellefeuille
on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:32:01 pm

In the top left corner of the clips window there is a little drop down menu. It probably says All Clips as that's the default. Click on it and choose Favorites and it will show only Favorites.

Return to posts index

Mike Stanley
on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:33:51 pm

Yup realized that right after I wrote the question. Duhhhh

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:58:59 am

I think I'd use favorites as "circle takes" and keywords to replace bins.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Natteau
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:59:23 pm

But can't you do the same thing with Keywords also?

I believe you can set in and out points with Keywords. So aren't Keywords also like subclips as well?

Return to posts index

Scott Bellefeuille
on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:25:58 am

Yes Nicholas, you're correct. I think that last part of my original statement regarding keywords not having the same functionality for setting in and outs was incorrect and confusing! Consider this a retraction of that part of the statement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]