FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAC Pro release Date

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

David Cherniack
Re: MAC Pro release Date
on Apr 5, 2018 at 9:58:35 pm

In a not-so-perverse way I feel sorry for you guys.

My editing system:

Intel i9 7960x 32 cores @ 4.3GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360mm Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
2 EVGA 1080ti Cards @ 16 lanes each
36 TB Areca 12 drive Thunderbolt 3 Array @ 40mbps

Life is good when you're not a prisoner of any church.

Have a great NAB those of you who are going.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 5, 2018 at 10:08:23 pm

to translate David's post -
this Win 10 system is the equivalent of what many of us "hope" the Mac Pro will be. And when the
GTX-1080ti cards become obsolete in a few years, David can simply pull them out and replace them with
whatever comes along. Same with a 10G (or 40G) card. And same with any I/O card from AJA or Blackmagic.
David's system will run Adobe CC, Media Composer and Davinci Resolve (and Cinema 4D and others faster than an iMac Pro (unless you possibly have a Sonnet or Akitio eGPU box and another Vega 64 card).

And of course, the most important thing here - is that David's system did not cost $6400 (I could be wrong - I don't know David, but I bet he did not spend anywhere near 6 grand for this system).

Of course - no FCP X.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 5, 2018 at 10:36:17 pm

Thanks for the translation for the hardware challenged ☺

[Bob Zelin] "David's system will run Adobe CC, Media Composer and Davinci Resolve (and Cinema 4D and others faster than an iMac Pro (unless you possibly have a Sonnet or Akitio eGPU box and another Vega 64 card)."

I'm doubtful that this is true, Bob. Correct me if I'm wrong but the TB3 connector for eGPU boxes is 4 lanes...so each card in an external enclosure is sharing those 4 lanes with every other card. My two cards are running 16 lanes each. The effective speed is not directly proportional to the number of lanes but I'd expect that there'd need to be around 4 or 5 external cards to match the effective speed of my two.

Yes the cost excluding the external Areca array was much less than $6k and this o/c'd system will put the iMac Pro to relative shame with any of the apps you mentioned.

David

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Apr 6, 2018 at 2:55:15 am

Bob,

I actually checked out prices for the components mentioned

Intel i9 7960x 32 cores @ 4.3GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360mm Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
2 EVGA 1080ti Cards @ 16 lanes each

I couldn't find an i9 32 core @4.3 GHz, what I could find is an i9 7960x 2.8 GHz 16-core which goes up to 4.2 GHz with 32 threads. Need a link to this one '32 cores @ 4.3GHz'.

I added the exact same other components as mentioned RAM, 2x GPUs. And I added a 5k display, 2x 1 TB m.2 SSD, Case, keyboard and mouse, Win10 Pro USB.
The total adds up to $ 8,300. Did I miss anything? Add it to the price, then.

This, for a machine that may be superior to the iMac Pro, but at a not significantly lower price.
And I haven't even accounted for the labour in putting this thing together. Which if we value our time as editors at $500 per day, and take, say, 4 days to set this system up fully, the price of this wonderfully powerful Windows computer is $ 10,300.

An 18-core iMacPro with 64 GB RAM and 16 GB GPU would run $ 8,800. And a 14-core would be $ 8,000.

On upgradeability, in 3 years, the CPU, RAM may change to the point that the then current CPU and RAM will not work with this motherboard. GPUs will evolve, and the GPU of 2021 may or may not be compatible with this motherboard.

And along the way, if any component in the self-built PC fails outside the warranty period, you simply have to buy a new one. RAM, SSD, GPU are all very costly components to replace. So add maybe $ 500 for replacements over 3 years.

For the iMacPro, $169 gets you AppleCare which gives you parts and labour replacement free for 3 years.

For all the trouble (and expense) of building your own PC, the speed increase you'll see will likely be in the import and render process, both of which are processor and GPU dependent. I can't think of any activity where this PC will finish in 6 hours and the iMacPro will take 2 days.

The speed of editing, grading, mixing, designing, writing...
Those depends on the processor which sits between the keyboard and the chair.
That one is 'factory fitted' and non-upgradeable.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:51:34 am

Neil, I don't know where you price stuff but for the items listed plus a 2TB Samsung Pro NVMe SD plus case and 1200W PS I paid last November $5500. The CPU is in the list - a 16/32 i9 7960 is overclocked to 4.3 GHz, a simple thing to do with XMP overclocking on x299 mainboards. Of course it helps to buy in a competitive market from as few suppliers as possible and get resulting discounts. You can also hang a 10 bit 29 inch UHD Dell monitor on it for less than $400.

David

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 6, 2018 at 7:12:32 am

Of course you can also re-use your rack mount case, power supply, cables and monitors to make the rebuild even cheaper.

4 days to setup? I usually do my rebuilds every four years and it takes less time than that to do a rebuild and complete install the OS & drivers. I would tyoically have the old mobo out and the new one fully installed including onboard RAIDs in one day. The the OS & drivers install might take up a few hours. The install of software, networks and other hardware peripherals like Decklink cards is then the same.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Apr 6, 2018 at 7:54:40 am

[Neil Sadwelkar] "I added the exact same other components as mentioned RAM, 2x GPUs. And I added a 5k display, 2x 1 TB m.2 SSD, Case, keyboard and mouse, Win10 Pro USB.
The total adds up to $ 8,300. Did I miss anything? Add it to the price, then.

He no doubt already had a good monitor, etc. Not having to buy a new monitor every time you buy a computer is one of the major benefits of not being on the imac train.

[Neil Sadwelkar] This, for a machine that may be superior to the iMac Pro, but at a not significantly lower price.

Lets go with massively superior than an imac priced similarly at $5.5k. I was bored the other day and got to putting together an imac with all the best parts on the apple website. it came to $20k AUD. And it was still inferior to David's machine. Not being able to install a pair of 1080tis is a deal breaker.

[Neil Sadwelkar] And I haven't even accounted for the labour in putting this thing together. Which if we value our time as editors at $500 per day, and take, say, 4 days to set this system up fully, the price of this wonderfully powerful Windows computer is $ 10,300.

Four days?! A pro would do it well under an hour. I'd do it in about 2-3 hours to make sure I did everything perfect. Lets face it, when getting a new machine it isn't putting it together that's the hassle. It's reinstalling all the softwsare and setting up your preferences, shortcuts, plug ins etc. That can take days but it's not going to be any less painful on a mac.

[Neil Sadwelkar] For all the trouble (and expense) of building your own PC, the speed increase you'll see will likely be in the import and render process, both of which are processor and GPU dependent. I can't think of any activity where this PC will finish in 6 hours and the iMacPro will take 2 days.

For video editing for sure. I doubt that's all David's machine would be doing. If you, for example, start messing round in 3d for your videos/images then the faster machine will very quickly begin to pay it's way. I just exported a single frame from 3ds and it took my system 26 hours to complete the job during which time the entire computer was out of action. David's would probably get the job done in about 5 hours. That kind of power is not something most need- but if you do you'd be silly to be buying a more expensive computer with less power.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:59:12 pm

[Dominic Deacon] " I just exported a single frame from 3ds and it took my system 26 hours to complete the job during which time the entire computer was out of action. "

Just out of curiosity, which renderer were you using and what caused such a long render?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2018 at 7:10:59 am

[Bob Zelin] "Of course - no FCP X.
"

As we are actually on an FCPX forum this is an important point.

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 6, 2018 at 1:46:23 pm

[Steve Connor] "As we are actually on an FCPX forum this is an important point."

The thread is about the not-to-be-released-until-2019 Mac Pro. So pointing out what's available today as a more powerful machine than the iMac Pro is appropriate, no?

Apple could put out an expandable machine tomorrow based on my specs for less money( well, it's Apple so it would never be less money). The point is that they've decided in their preternatural wisdom, that the majority of Mac power users will wait another year or more. Not so astonishingly, they're probably right.

David

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2018 at 2:01:00 pm

[David Cherniack] "The thread is about the not-to-be-released-until-2019 Mac Pro. So pointing out what's available today as a more powerful machine than the iMac Pro is appropriate, no? "

Not really, it won't run FCPX so it's irrelevant ☺

Seriously though, very glad you're happy with your system, if it suits your needs then that's fantastic.

The slightly snarky comments about Mac users are also irrelevant as well really. The simple fact is that a PC DOESN'T suit my and many other Mac users needs for PROFESSIONAL reasons not because we all somehow belong to the "cult of Mac"

[David Cherniack] "The point is that they've decided in their preternatural wisdom, that the majority of Mac power users will wait another year or more. Not so astonishingly, they're probably right.
"

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 6, 2018 at 2:14:36 pm

[Steve Connor] "The slightly snarky comments about Mac users are also irrelevant as well really. The simple fact is that a PC DOESN'T suit my and many other Mac users needs for PROFESSIONAL reasons not because we all somehow belong to the "cult of Mac""

Of course not, and my comments were not directed at ALL FCPX users...just some of them..

Some of my best friends are FCPX users :)

David

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 6, 2018 at 11:15:04 pm

[Steve Connor] "Not really, it won't run FCPX so it's irrelevant ☺"

This forum has often covered debates about FCPX alternatives. After all that was the '..or not' question this forum was founded on. So of course it is relevant to talk about hardware alternatives to MacPro as it affects the many editors that use X, CC, Resolve, Avid etc.

It is very much part of the ongoing debate also for the Hackintosh users who also frequent this forum. So yes this hardware can run FCPX. It's just hardware. Chose your OS and run whatever you want. But don't pretend this forum is here just for just FCPX users. Never has been so stop trying trying to railroad it from its original debate purposes.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 7, 2018 at 12:51:14 am

[Michael Gissing] "But don't pretend this forum is here just for just FCPX users. Never has been so stop trying trying to railroad it from its original debate purposes."

I'll just note that Tim and the forum runners elected to CHANGE the name of the forum - largely because the "or not" part of the debate was felt to be obsolete.

Many people opined at the time that X had achieved all the functional parity it needed so that the "or not" part of the issue was pretty much settled.

And I think that was obviously the correct call, since FCP X is gaining at least half a million global users a year as Apple announced yesterday.

It took a few years for the first FCP X million. Apple said at NAB last year it reached two million FASTER than the still beloved Legacy - and now it's growth rate appears to be at least 20% annually.

That's seems pretty darn healthy.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 7, 2018 at 2:50:26 am

What’s that got to do with anything? It’s still a debate forum centered around FCPX btw with just a less snarky name. No one in this thread even brought up the merits of X.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 7, 2018 at 8:14:19 am

[Bill Davis] "I'll just note that Tim and the forum runners elected to CHANGE the name of the forum - largely because the "or not" part of the debate was felt to be obsolete."

I think he should actually take FCPX out of the name and just call it "NLE Debates" FCPX users could take the conversations over to the FCPX forum itself

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 7, 2018 at 1:07:34 pm

[Steve Connor] "I think he should actually take FCPX out of the name and just call it "NLE Debates" FCPX users could take the conversations over to the FCPX forum itself"

FCPX has always had both forums. Name changes still seem unnecessary to me. You've always had the option to chose which forum to argue in but for many of us we don't trespass into a genuine FCPX forum. This forum isn't and never has been despite recent attempts to banish us pesky debaters.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 7, 2018 at 1:57:18 pm

[Michael Gissing] " This forum isn't and never has been despite recent attempts to banish us pesky debaters."

No-one is trying to banish anyone!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 7, 2018 at 5:13:23 pm

[Michael Gissing] " This forum isn't and never has been despite recent attempts to banish us pesky debaters"

Uh,, nobody has EVER attempted to banish anyone.

I just don't want the forum to become a sea of AVID only or ADOBE discussions.

There are specific forums for those.

I think it's reasonable for this one to retain at least a modicum of relevance for the FCP X users who see the forum name - and expect the posts here to relate to that.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2018 at 7:11:42 am

[David Cherniack] "In a not-so-perverse way I feel sorry for you guys.
"

Strange that, I feel sorry for you Not being able to use FCPX :)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 6, 2018 at 12:01:57 pm

Exactly Steve. Why buy a BMW when a Fiesta “LX” will get you to the same place and nearly the same time?

It’s not about a feature list.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 6, 2018 at 1:39:13 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Exactly Steve. Why buy a BMW when a Fiesta “LX” will get you to the same place and nearly the same time?

It’s not about a feature list."

Well, to use the impoverished car analogy, it's certainly not about a Fiesta vs a BMW going to visit your grandmother. It's about going cross country - off road - and whether your car can get you there at all. Appropriate tools for appropriate work.

David

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 6, 2018 at 3:04:32 pm

sometimes I get SO ANGRY reading comments from Steve Connor and Bill Davis (even though they are nice guys).
It seems that NO MATTER WHAT Apple does - it's ok - it's all Apple, just go along with it. When you come from "our background" (you know, Mac Pro's that you can install anything you want, and are still running to this day in 2018) - we get upset when Apple says "no more buddy - give us more money".

Does Apple own AMD ? No. Didn't they used to work with Nvidia wonderfully ? YES. Didn't most of this list own
Quadro 4000 and GTX-680 cards ? YES. But then some BUSINESS PERSON at Apple said NO MORE. Why don't you get angry about this.

Apple has had a recent announcement that they will use their own chips in 2020 instead of Intel (based on Cow article and Bloomberg). You DO know, that unless Apple is planning on buying Intel, there will be no more Thunderbolt on those machines. What about your Thunderbolt investment - just throw that out ? Just say "ok, thanks Apple, here is my money all over again". Why do YOU keep saying "it's ok" every time Apple does something like this. It's not the engineers that are punishing people - Apple Engineering is great. It's the Apple business model that makes people angry - but there are "those users" that just keep saying "oh - stop complaining - it's ok, Apple is just great". So Apple is becoming just like those "nursing home" facilities that drain every penny out of grandma's life savings every year - "but they take care of her so well - so what if they charge $80,000 a year".

I just don't know why you don't get upset with all of this.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:11:12 pm

[Bob Zelin] "sometimes I get SO ANGRY reading comments from Steve Connor and Bill Davis"

Sorry that you get angry about this (and I'm not sure I'm happy about being lumped in with Bill on this) but let me try and explain further.

I mostly use FCPX and Pro Apps, the editing experience I have had with FCPX over the last 3 or 4 years has been more stable, fast and enjoyable than any edit system I have used since the first Avids arrived here in the UK a million years ago.

I've used most NLEs over the years on both Macs and PCs so I do have a lot of experience with other systems.

I edit with lots of different formats from .mp4 to 4K XAVC and at no point in the edit day do I notice any issues with speed and responsiveness at all, so basically I'm a happy Editor most of the time, I don't find myself wishing for a fast liquid cooled PC with twin Nvidia Titans etc etc because I'm happy with the speed of my system, I can add CC effects and all sorts of titles, renders don't take too long, even when I'm outputting a 90 minute show, it doesn't take much more than an hour, so I don't have a desperate need for extra speed in my workflow.

...and I'm on a 2013 MacBook Pro!

I feel the integration between the OS and the Apps give a speed and reliability advantage that offsets a lot of the need for extra grunt from a bigger box.

OK so if I was working with RED files or RAW I'm sure it would be different story, but then I would just drop the cash on a nicely specced iMac Pro and, as other people have found, this would be powerful enough for that work as well.

To be honest as far as I'm concerned I don't care if Apple release a new Mac Pro or not and I have to drop £6000 or £7000 on a new iMac Pro system every 3 years that's no big deal either as I bill for any hardware I have and it's tax deductible as well, it's peanuts compared to what I used to spend and it's well worth it for the stability and editing experience I get with Apple software.

Having said all that if FCPX was discontinued or I was primarily an Adobe user or I had a lot of 3D work I would switch to PC immediately.

My loyalty to Apple is based on my editing experience, not because I'm a fanboy - does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 6, 2018 at 5:41:41 pm

[Steve Connor] "and I'm not sure I'm happy about being lumped in with Bill on this"

Aw man. Poor Bill! ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2018 at 6:32:53 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Steve Connor] "and I'm not sure I'm happy about being lumped in with Bill on this"

Aw man. Poor Bill! ☺"

Exactly!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:23:09 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I just don't know why you don't get upset with all of this. "

Don’t know about anyone else, but for me, part of it is knowing that if I’m traveling to an important edit gig and ALL my luggage is lost, I can walk into any Apple store on the planet (after I stop to buy clothes and toiletries) and be fully functioning as an editor pretty much anywhere on the planet within an hour.

Safely, securely, effectively, and conveniently.

That kind of security, in part, keeps me from getting too upset.

Basically, hardware has all become far, far less “mission critical” for me in this era.

I’m here to add IP in the form of editorial knowledge and judgement - not to provide systems engineering chops.

That stuff is far better left to integration experts like Bob.

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 6, 2018 at 6:10:34 pm

[Bill Davis] "Basically, hardware has all become far, far less “mission critical” for me in this era."

I have no idea what you actually create but the idea of hardware being less important today than in the past is certainly not reflected here on this forum or on other professional video production forums. Many posts involve people asking about how to get the most out of their systems in order to maximize the efficiency within their NLE's.

As the digital video business has grown over the years, the computing power needed to efficiently and effectively edit and create content has grown with it. We now live in a world where an average 4k project can be 1-2 terabytes in size, where Lumetri color work is a default aspect of post and where cloud asset acquisition and cloud based review of cuts requires fast upload and download speeds as well as fast render times for compressions.

I'm with Bob on this one. Being an Apple customer requires a massive amount of patience. The list of features that have been eliminated by the company over the years is long . And now it seems as though the company is marching forward towards a complete abandonment of partnerships with Nvidia and Intel.

I've invested too much in my computer systems to allow myself to be at the mercy of whatever the "geniuses" at Apple deem the "future of computing."

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018
Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0
Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280
Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2018 at 6:41:50 pm

[greg janza] "I have no idea what you actually create but the idea of hardware being less important today than in the past is certainly not reflected here on this forum or on other professional video production forums."

Well just take a look at a few FCPX "professional" forums and you'll notice there is almost NO discussion about speed of systems at all!

[greg janza] "And now it seems as though the company is marching forward towards a complete abandonment of partnerships with Nvidia and Intel. "

Entirely speculation at this point, the Intel thing is based on one single report apparently

[greg janza] "As the digital video business has grown over the years, the computing power needed to efficiently and effectively edit and create content has grown with it. We now live in a world where an average 4k project can be 1-2 terabytes in size, "

Yes that's true, I have projects like that and they run very well on my 2013 MacBook Pro thanks.

[greg janza] "I've invested too much in my computer systems to allow myself to be at the mercy of whatever the "geniuses" at Apple deem the "future of computing.""

Yes we get it, you feel let down by Apple. There's an awful lot of people who don't agree.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Apr 6, 2018 at 6:35:48 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You DO know, that unless Apple is planning on buying Intel, there will be no more Thunderbolt on those machines. What about your Thunderbolt investment - just throw that out ?"

The below article implies that Apple is now free to develop their own Thunderbolt chipsets or just integrate that logic on future Apple CPUs. This would cost less than previous Apple computers where they had to use Intel chipsets plus pay a licensing royalty.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/intel-to-make-thunderbolt-3-royalty...

"Intel says that it is going to make the Thunderbolt 3 specification available on a non-exclusive, royalty-free basis. This will enable third parties to integrate the interface into their own silicon, opening the door to, for example, AMD systems with Thunderbolt 3 support and cheaper chips for the device end of the cable."

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:30:19 pm

[David Cherniack] "it's certainly not about a Fiesta vs a BMW going to visit your grandmother. It's about going cross country - off road - and whether your car can get you there at all. Appropriate tools for appropriate work.
"

I agree. For me, I like the way my BMW (Mac) works. It feels fun to drive. It's reliable. It's understandable. That's worth the cost of the extra (if any) investment. Plus it's fully depreciable as an expense. ;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 6, 2018 at 1:32:11 pm

[Steve Connor] "Strange that, I feel sorry for you Not being able to use FCPX :)"

Worry not, gentle Steve. I have a Mac Book Pro and I could run it on that if I had a desire or need to.

Unlike many of the defenders of the faith here, who think I should want or need to run FCPX if only my eyes would open to it's glory, alas, my eyes just glazed over. It's just not my taste. May they be happy in their bliss, but mine is found elsewhere so I don't come here much and when I do I tend to skip over the proselytechniks. I have friends who use it and are happy with it but their needs are much less demanding than mine and they don't feel any need to tell me that I'm missing something or that I could be doing what I'm doing on lower powered Apple hardware.

David

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:09:40 pm

I will probably get flamed (is that even a thing these days) for this post.
I work on both Mac OS and Windows 7/10.
Sorry but I find the Windows OS to be buggy with most of the apps I use.
Sure I've experienced super raw power in Maya, Resolve. RCX and Adobe products (HPZ840/240) but I also experience way too many oddities not worth getting into here.
For me, the Mac OS is stable and I can at least pinpoint the minor issues.
IMHO of course.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:12:04 pm

[Eric Santiago] "IMHO of course."

As is everything posted on here :)

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:18:19 pm

I use 7 on my Office machine and 10 Pro on the Fastwalker (specs above). I find 10 Pro to be totally stable as long as I keep bios, drivers, apps, and OS upgrades up to date. Sometimes small things break with a major update but it's followed by an update with the driver or app that fixes it. This does mean paying attention and keeping everything up to date. Most of the problems people experience with the stability any NLE are caused by not keeping things, especially hardware, drivers current.

David

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 6, 2018 at 5:19:25 pm

[David Cherniack] "Most of the problems people experience with the stability any NLE are caused by not keeping things, especially hardware, drivers current."

What bugs me is that I would use an app like Maya for weeks and not be screwing around with anything like updating apps and services then one day my system is dead.
I would then go through the whole un-install re-install dance and even that is 50/50.
I don't consider myself an IT pro but I've been using these things since 1994 and should have some idea of what the hell is going on.
I have now stepped back and let tech support deal with it all.
Of course, that's on the Windows side of things.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 6, 2018 at 5:44:07 pm

[Eric Santiago] "f course, that's on the Windows side of things."

One of the worst things about Win 10 is that by default it will happily go about updating your system without telling you. You can temporarily shut that off if you delve into settings but the Spring and Fall Creator's update cause lots of havoc with drivers for some hardware. Sounds like that may have happened with you. OTOH hardware components have been known to age and fail. When things go South like that it can happen on any system and OS. It's just life in the wonderful world of complex machines.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]