FORUMS: list search recent posts

More Skinny on the coming NewMac Pro direct from Apple

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
More Skinny on the coming NewMac Pro direct from Apple
on Apr 5, 2018 at 6:20:10 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 5, 2018 at 6:22:42 pm

Theres a major story on TechCrunch about the New MacPro development effort.
Appears it will ship in 2019 and they are doing a VERY deep dive into what modern working professionals might want, including establishing a Pro Workflows Team inside the ProApps development area to help get it right.

Worth reading.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/apples-2019-imac-pro-will-be-shaped-by-wo...

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: More Skinny on the coming NewMac Pro direct from Apple
on Apr 5, 2018 at 7:13:15 pm

Already covered here https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/100781

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 5, 2018 at 8:18:58 pm

Yes, but both the other articles are just pieces COMMENTING on the TechCrunch piece.

I figured a direct link to the source was more appropriate. FWIW.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 5, 2018 at 9:39:32 pm

[Bill Davis] "and they are doing a VERY deep dive into what modern working professionals might want,"

They said that about the trashcan too. Boy were they wrong that time, and the discontinuing it w/o even one upgrade cycle is proof of that.

Hoping they are actually listening and not just to the bits they want to hear.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 7, 2018 at 1:14:42 am

[Neil Goodman] "They said that about the trashcan too. Boy were they wrong that time, and the discontinuing it w/o even one upgrade cycle is proof of that."

Quite Correct.

But they also re-booted things significantly between the Newton and the iPad - and THAT appears to have worked out extremely well.

We'll see how this goes.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 7, 2018 at 3:02:05 am

I’m still editing on a 2015 MacBook Pro..why? Because the newest laptops do t have the ports we need without spending a few hundred more for add ons...an unnecessary touch bar and a terrible to the stiff loud stiff keyboard. Apple listening to its editors? Not lately

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 7, 2018 at 5:38:15 am

[Andy Field] "Apple listening to its editors? Not lately"

Or they just aren’t listening to you?

Thomas Grove Carter at NAB last year had the whole Ed Sheeran video running in his 2017 MacBook Pro along with a highly complex :60 AUDI commercial and he didn’t seem to have any problems cutting the heck out of things live in front of 1000 other editors at the Supermeet.

It was a stock “off the shelf” MacBook Pro. No different than one you can walk into any Apple Store and walk out with tomorrow. Same Public build of FCP X - and the same Samsung T3 USB-C connected SSD you can buy on-line anywhere.

Look, if the cost of a few cable adapters are a dealbreaker for you - I don’t know what I can tell you.

My MacIi FX from the late 1999s cost me $17,000 as configured. Hardware costs today are relative peanuts. It’s still real money, but it’s just not a major factor for most business level users.

Toms Laptop Was maybe $350O.00 maxed out.

If that’s too much for you to invest in a fast and effective edit rig, or want to save money on a different set of decisions, that’s entirely up to you.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 8, 2018 at 9:30:36 pm

Bill,

You missed the entire point of my post -- Apple had the perfect portable editing machine....and then in it's never ending quest to make things thinner -- got rid of useful ports (USB 3.0 - card readers, headphone jacks) and requires you to either carry a bag full of dongles or buy one of the 100 to 200 dollar jury rigged set ups to get the ports back you had.... It's not that i "can't afford" to buy the things, I don't want the extra baggage

And the change was for what? fnot an enormous speed bump and a loud inferior keyboard. One person wrote they use an add on keyboard...but that defeats the purpose of mobile editing -- I do much of my editing at 30 thousand feet flying across the country on the way back from remote shoots -- there's limited space that I don't need to be fumbling through bags for connectors and extra keyboards.

Its like FCP X, which you love, but many editors find fiddly and unnecessarily different than everything else out there. More power to you if you like it, but the original version wasn't a result of Apple "listening to their editors" as the resultant negative first reaction showed

It will be nice if they actually do listen to their editors and come up with a powerful machine with the ports, graphics and computing power to slice through any project, no matter what NLE you use

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 10, 2018 at 6:57:06 am

[Andy Field] "Bill,

You missed the entire point of my post -- Apple had the perfect portable editing machine....and then in it's never ending quest to make things thinner -- got rid of useful ports (USB 3.0 - card readers, headphone jacks) and requires you to either carry a bag full of dongles or buy one of the 100 to 200 dollar jury rigged set ups to get the ports back you had.... It's not that i "can't afford" to buy the things, I don't want the extra baggage.

Or, alternatively YOU are seeing Apples moves through your predjuidicrs in the same way I am - and fail to see that while it is quite possible I am wrong, isn’t it equally possible you are?

Maybe the thinness thing actually saves Apple millions on shipping by increasing the number of units they can put in a standard shipping container? Maybe not drilling headphone jack holes through an otherwise sealed case reduces interior dust or humidity issues and leads to longer component life. Maybe what you see as Extra Baggage I see as a move on Apples part to do more I/O wirelessly via Bluetooth or WiFi something that may make traditionall headphones less and less useful?

I don’t know if I’m correct about these things - and you don’t know if you are - either.

But the indisputable overriding metrics are that Apple keeps making tons of money, so more people clearly feel that they are making overall better choices than their competitors.

Remember with the 2.5million seat announcement at NAB - simple math tells us Apple made at LEAST 3/4 of a Billion Dollars selling FCP X

———
You wrote:
It will be nice if they actually do listen to their editors and come up with a powerful machine with the ports, graphics and computing power to slice through any project, no matter what NLE you use.

Well, not if catering to those editors risks losing Apple the momentum that they have already achieved. Exactly why should I be forced to drag around a chunky, extra beefy MacBook simply because somebody else wants to run older non- optimized code on it?

Cuz that’s what you’re kinda saying, isn’t it?

Just food for thought before I shut the lights out before I close out NAB day one.

😁

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 10, 2018 at 2:45:36 pm

Bill,

Coca Cola sells billions of bottles of sugar water - doesn't mean it's good for you or what the customers need.

we get it -- you LOVE FCP 10 and all things Apple -- good for you. I used to be one of their biggest promoters. But when a company stops giving me what i need, i look elsewhere

I love getting my work done - using a usable keyboard that doesn't wake the neighborhood and feel like you're pounding on a rock -- and traveling light. My 2015 Macbook isn't a "big bulky laptop" it's a few oz's heavier than the new one it has a card reader to ingest everything we shoot. Easy - nothing to forget -- toss the laptop in the bag and go ...and the new model is not significantly faster to drop another few grand on a machine that lacks items i need.

When you forget your base of customers or think you know better than them, be prepared for them to wander somewhere else

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 7, 2018 at 7:08:44 pm

[Andy Field] " Because the newest laptops do t have the ports we need without spending a few hundred more for add ons."

A few hundred? You need to shop around a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-k...

[Andy Field] "an unnecessary touch bar and a terrible to the stiff loud stiff keyboard."

I'm actually digging the touch bar and find myself using it automatically (I was a skeptic at the start). You are right about the keyboard, plus the touch pad is too large and you find your cursor in strange places as your hand drifts over it. Not an issue when I edit as I use a full size add-on keyboard.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]