FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAB news

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronny Courtens
NAB news
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:05:28 pm

Apple announces these updates for NAB:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2058-apple-announce-updates-to-fin...

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: NAB news
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:23:03 pm

Useful for some - but for a "major update" like they are calling it and especially a NAB update this is a bit meh..

bring on a roles based mixer, updated trim tools, and some timecode options and Id be a happy camper.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:34:17 pm

I wonder what kind of CC editing and timing controls will be available?
I wonder if Coremelt's upcoming (?) "Scribe-o-matic" be able to generate SRT or other formats for easy reformatting within FCPX?

Does ProRes RAW mean for ProResXQ?

I've always thought of RAW as something one does from Camera so I'm not sure what the camera manufactures are going to do with this (thinking of Blackmagic amongst others).

There's more bits of info at ProVideoCoaltion
https://www.provideocoalition.com/apple-prepares-a-new-final-cut-pro-x-upda...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 5, 2018 at 3:51:20 pm

This is a great and much-hoped-for update for me in terms of the captioning. It doesn't include free built-in transcription, but baby steps, right? I like that I only have to caption the show once and if it needs to be re-cut, the captions track with the changes. That's a time saver.

Why is captioning important to non-deaf people?

It makes the entire program keyword-searchable, which is incredibly useful to end users and archivists or researchers.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:20:36 pm

And in social media (e.g. Facebook) people may watch video with the sound off.

9to5mac as more and includes a screenshot of the closed caption Inspector window.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/05/final-cut-pro-10-4-1-closed-captions-prores-...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 5, 2018 at 6:16:07 pm

And like connected clips - your CAPTIONS can now be attached to the sound bites they refer to - so as you re-arrange clips - your captioning work stays connected.

Think of the implications for folks who version a lot. You don't have to re-caption everything all the time.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Apr 5, 2018 at 7:31:45 pm

[9to5Mac]... Since captions are connected to audio and video clips in the timeline, they will move along with their connected clips as you organize your work. A new dedicated captions inspector will allow users to change text, color, location, and timing...
The real new thing is that captions can be attached to audio - otherwise subtitles always "walked" with the parent clip.
The other thing: captions inspector. I'm keen to see how they do. If I look at the screenshot I don't see a warning for formatting (2 errors are obvious).
The real good news that captions can be embedded is only good news for US/CDN. Rest of the world is forgotten 😉
But direct support for YouTube, Vimeo, etc is definitively very good.
Another question is: which languages are supported by their CEA-608(!) implementation.

While 9to5Mac claims "no need for third parties" I somehow see just the opposite 😉 - assuming they really change/approve role handling.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:28:23 pm

An update on Monday? An announcement before NAB even starts? Apple loves to surprise us and be unconventional at times. Disappointed by the fact there is no role based mixer as others have discussed but will be updating regardless as new codec support is there. This update discussion is in the Trending Now section on Facebokok near the top of the list.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:34:04 pm

Of other interest Keyflow Pro 2.0 is available with a lower price of admission for single users.

http://keyflowpro.com/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2018 at 6:05:10 pm

[David Mathis] "Of other interest Keyflow Pro 2.0 is available with a lower price of admission for single users. "

So far 1.8.5 and 2.0 have the exact same feature set (2 has a new look though) but going forward all development will be with 2.0. The new lower price point of entry will hopefully grow their user base. It's certainly a reasonable "upgrade" price although no need to rush for those already using it because currently it's the same feature set.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Apr 5, 2018 at 10:08:39 pm

Another good link
http://alex4d.com/notes/item/final-cut-pro-10-4-1-prores-raw-and-captions

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 5, 2018 at 11:37:40 pm

Here's the Apple ProRes Raw white paper:

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_RAW_White_Paper.pdf

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 6, 2018 at 12:19:08 am

Still not here
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202410
Wonderring why mentions of the ProRes variations relating to RAW don't mention XQ.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 6, 2018 at 7:31:55 am

ProResRAW as a camera format is very exciting. The data rate looks to be a bit under ProRes422HQ which means you can get slightly more on your cards but with RAW you can dig into the data and change things like ISO and color balance in post, get the full dynamic range unlike ProRes422HQ which is 10 bit.

This must be a camera originating format only so the other flavors of ProRes for finishing codecs remain important. It looks like the data compression may be higher than the current 4:1 cDNG that the Blackmagic cameras now shoot so if BM adopt this format, it will be very useful. If however it only works on a Mac with FCPX installed then I hope the industry avoid it as proprietary codecs are such a pain. Maybe we will see a DNxRAW next.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 6, 2018 at 3:22:14 pm

[Michael Gissing] "This must be a camera originating format only so the other flavors of ProRes for finishing codecs remain important"

From what I've heard, you can edit with these files just fine, no need to transcode.

[Michael Gissing] "If however it only works on a Mac with FCPX installed then I hope the industry avoid it as proprietary codecs are such a pain"

Think that'll be the case for a while, but it's just another ProRes flavor, and I'd imagine Apple wants people to use it, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that change..

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 6, 2018 at 11:25:07 pm

[Charlie Austin] "From what I've heard, you can edit with these files just fine, no need to transcode."

Yes like all RAW camera codecs there is no need to transcode. I edit with R3D and cDNG all the time but only a camera can record raw sensor data. That's what I mean by camera originating. My final graded masterpieces however must be output in another format like the various ProRes or DNx mastering codecs.

Regarding Apple wanting to share their jewels, they must get Blackmagic and Arri onboard. If they allow them to use the codec then Win & Linux machines that run NLEs must be able to handle this codec to edit in the same way that they do now with all other flavors of ProRes. If not then Blackmagic won't bother offering it on their cameras.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2018 at 12:24:44 am

[Michael Gissing] "Yes like all RAW camera codecs there is no need to transcode. I edit with R3D and cDNG all the time but only a camera can record raw sensor data. That's what I mean by camera originating. "

Gotcha...

[Michael Gissing] "Regarding Apple wanting to share their jewels, they must get Blackmagic and Arri onboard. If they allow them to use the codec then Win & Linux machines that run NLEs must be able to handle this codec to edit in the same way that they do now with all other flavors of ProRes"

Yeah, be interesting to see where they go with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 7, 2018 at 3:10:55 pm

For today's pointless prediction:

The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K will support at least one flavor of ProRes RAW quite possibly eschewing cDNG. It makes sense given the limits to data rate BMD may have faced in doing a small 4K camera.

This will mean Resolve 15 will be previewed with ProRes RAW support or otherwise and update to 14 coming soon.

I just don't see Apple introducing RAW without someone nearly ready to go with it. I can't see Apple playing this alone.

It would certainly be interesting to see other camera manufacturers announcing implementation.
A wild card possibility could be Panasonic since event the GH5 series can already do 4K at 400mbps.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 7, 2018 at 3:25:36 pm

[Craig Seeman] "For today's pointless prediction:

The new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K will support at least one flavor of ProRes RAW quite possibly eschewing cDNG. It makes sense given the limits to data rate BMD may have faced in doing a small 4K camera."

Sorry Craig, already made the same pointless prediction ☺

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/100858

I think Resolve 15 will almost definitely have ProRes RAW support

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 6, 2018 at 4:42:24 pm

[Michael Gissing] "ProResRAW as a camera format is very exciting. The data rate looks to be a bit under ProRes422HQ which means you can get slightly more on your cards but with RAW you can dig into the data and change things like ISO and color balance in post, get the full dynamic range unlike ProRes422HQ which is 10 bit.

This must be a camera originating format only so the other flavors of ProRes for finishing codecs remain important. It looks like the data compression may be higher than the current 4:1 cDNG that the Blackmagic cameras now shoot so if BM adopt this format, it will be very useful. If however it only works on a Mac with FCPX installed then I hope the industry avoid it as proprietary codecs are such a pain. Maybe we will see a DNxRAW next."

After using Cineform RAW, I wondered for years why Apple and AVID didn't develop raw versions of their codecs... it seemed like a no brainer, especially as camera capture formats. ProRes RAW sounds exciting, but I wouldn't buy a camera or recorder that used it as the only means of raw video capture... I just don't trust Apple to support it on Windows in the long run.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]