iMac Pro horsepower for creatives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
iMac Pro horsepower for creatives
on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:17:28 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:21:30 am

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/films/

PS: none of these 6 films mention FCPX or Motion, but all mention Adobe CC in their BTS descriptions.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: iMac Pro horsepower for creatives
on Mar 15, 2018 at 8:50:05 am

I don't think that's unlogical. Everyone already knows that the iMac Pro works perfectly with Apple's own pro applications. So, from a marketing point of view, it's much more intelligent to showcase the work of creatives who successfully use the iMacPro with non-Apple software.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:20:42 pm

I don’t think it’s an overt thing. They are just mentioning tools that were used, which also includes a lot of Maya and Nuke. Just an observation that these companies did not appear to be using Apple’s own software tools. But the long history between Apple and Adobe, more so than any other software vendor, is what has solidified the positioning of Macs as a tool for creative work.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 15, 2018 at 3:54:26 pm

At the end of the day Apple is a hardware company so as long as you buy one of their computers I don't think they don't care if you use Avid instead of FCP X, After Effects instead of Motion or even Windows instead of MacOS. In the past year or so I've seen 2-3 video production jobs posted by Apple and all of them were looking for people with Premiere skills, After Effects skills, and FCP X skills (Motion seems left out in the cold). The tribalism surrounding tool usage seems to largely be a product of the users.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 15, 2018 at 4:16:08 pm

They don't need to market to FCX users. It's pretty much a given that if you use FCX, you need to use a Mac. BUT, After Effects, Avid, Premiere Pro...others...are cross platform, so they need to try to win them away from PCs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 15, 2018 at 11:05:08 pm

[Shane Ross] "They don't need to market to FCX users. It's pretty much a given that if you use FCX, you need to use a Mac. BUT, After Effects, Avid, Premiere Pro...others...are cross platform, so they need to try to win them away from PCs."

^
This.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 16, 2018 at 1:49:32 am

[Bill Davis] "This."

IOW, you are saying that Apple can take FCPX users for granted.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 16, 2018 at 6:52:38 am

[Oliver Peters] "IOW, you are saying that Apple can take FCPX users for granted."

Vender lock-in. ;)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 16, 2018 at 8:34:48 pm

[Oliver Peters] "IOW, you are saying that Apple can take FCPX users for granted."

Nope, just that they've just taken really good care of us by ruthlessly optimizing our software for their hardware already.

We're good.

Happy for them to turn their attention toward other users.

😊

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Mar 16, 2018 at 4:23:25 am

I tok the mention of Adobe CC to mean that they used Photoshop etc for mock ups. Everything else listed for every film was high end stuff that took serious grunt to power. THAT was what I think Apple was getting at.

Interesting to note that there was "additional equipment for final render of some sequences". I suppose that's a render farm, which is entirely reasonable.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 16, 2018 at 5:57:43 am

[Martin Curtis] "I tok the mention of Adobe CC to mean that they used Photoshop etc for mock ups."

I think most of the artists used After Effects though.

[Martin Curtis] " Everything else listed for every film was high end stuff that took serious grunt to power. THAT was what I think Apple was getting at."

Most of the 3D tasks shown in the behind the scenes videos don't take a lot of horsespower. Rendering, shading, lighting and large, detailed simulations are what really eat up resources... ironically, these are the things that seem to be driving 3D artists off of the Mac platform. CPU bound renderers benefit from dual processor machines and pretty much all of the GPU bound renderers only run nVidia's CUDA technology... same for many of the popular fluid simulators, you can run them without GPU acceleration, but they're much slower in CPU mode.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Mar 16, 2018 at 1:12:45 pm

A bit rough to read: ""additional equipment was used for final rendering of 3D content" if you are selling a 15.000 euro computer. But maybe that's incorrect expectations from me, as someone who's not home in the whole 3D world.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 16, 2018 at 4:42:03 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "A bit rough to read: ""additional equipment was used for final rendering of 3D content" if you are selling a 15.000 euro computer. But maybe that's incorrect expectations from me, as someone who's not home in the whole 3D world."

That's pretty normal even for smaller productions. No matter how fast your workstations is, final renders are almost always sent out to a render farm. Inexpensive online services have made this practice even more common.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 16, 2018 at 12:09:53 pm

[Martin Curtis] "I tok the mention of Adobe CC to mean that they used Photoshop etc for mock ups. "

At least one of the BTS videos showed a Premiere Pro interface on screen.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 16, 2018 at 8:42:31 pm

[Oliver Peters] "At least one of the BTS videos showed a Premiere Pro interface on screen."

Also, with the announced "maybe modular" MacPro revision coming out at some point in the future, Apple has an obvious reason to keep as many current MacHardware editors sticking around as possible, regardless of their software choice.

Some day, when that machine comes out, it's a totally open question whether it runs non-Apple software at levels that lag, equal or outpace wherever the industry is at that point regarding workflow speed.

Untill then, keeping "you can run Premiere, Resolve, and AVID on this hardware too!" messaging out there seems like a no-brainer to me.

FWIW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]