FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX meant for newly rumored iPad HD PRO?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stevo Chang
FCPX meant for newly rumored iPad HD PRO?
on Jul 10, 2011 at 7:31:18 am

So I was messing around with the Garageband App for the iPad, and I was struck by the similarity of Garageband's "magnetic" timeline-esque track editing UI to FCPX's "magnetic timeline". I don't know how many of you have played around with Garageband's app on the iPad, but the flexibility of the touchscreen interface and the ability to literally touch tracks with your fingers and move them around the screen was very intuitive.

Granted, Garageband iPad app is still very elementary and limiting compared to ProTools and Soundtrack Pro (for example, no cross fading and no ability to output anything other than Garageband project files and m4a), it was still a very intuitive process.

I got to thinking of the possibility of editing in this similar touchscreen manner. What if there were iPad-esque touchscreen keyboards that would allow me to load my editing timeline onto a touchscreen interface keyboard, and allow me to edit with the touch of my fingers in the same manner as the Garageband iPad app?

Then I saw this CNN article that talks about a rumor that Apple is going to release an iPad HD Pro version for professional use that would be capable enough to allow video editing and photography:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/08/apple.ipad.rumor/index.ht...

And when you look at all the 'dumbed down' features that FCPX has compared to FCP7, you can't help but see the possibility that FCPX wasn't built for Macbook Pros and MacPro towers, but perhaps FCPX was built for a more powerful iPad HD Pro?

The "Magnetic timeline" might be a scourge for professional editors due to the lack of precision, but for a touchscreen interface that requires the broad contact-point of your finger tip versus the pixel-precision of a mouse, the magnetic timeline might actually be more helpful for a touchscreen interface. And the confinement of FCPX program as a single-windowed application might make dual-monitoring difficult on a MacPro tower set-up, but it makes sense on a single-screened, fullscreen app on an iPad.

As a matter of fact, the iPad, like the iPhones - are required to synch and operate via iTunes and the AppStore -- which makes sense with FCPX's Appstore-only downloads and UI that automatically incorporates iTunes. And the toned down features of FCPX as an island software instead of being incorporated into a professional workflow also make sense since Apple's iOS is walled off intentionally (some argue to improve functionality, others argue so Apple can retain sales through iTunes/Appstore).

Although FCPX on an iPad HD Pro still wouldn't satisfy the needs of higher-end professionals, I can't help but wonder how much fun editing might be if I could literally 'touch' my edits with my bare fingers...

Link to the CNN article:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/08/apple.ipad.rumor/index.ht...

Return to posts index

Jacob Kerns
Re: FCPX meant for newly rumored iPad HD PRO?
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:11:00 am

I could see Apple doing this. Watching videos on iPad always made sense. Editing using a tiny screen and your fingers is just stupid! Its fine for maybe home videos or quick views of raw footage.

The only thing that I could see its useful for, is an on set monitor or to show a client things but to editing on it but come on! I have a hard time editing on a 17" MBP without a second screen.

Our company was really looking forward to replacing our aging Macs but FCPX botched release and Lion as digital download killed us from doing it.

Apple just needs to kill off their computers and be done with the computer market.

Since HP bought Palm they now have rights to BeOS and Webos they could turn one of them into a Windows/OSX replacement if they were smart enough!

For now Windows 7 and Adobe Suite is stable and works with older FCP projects that's what were switching to. The only thing that we're going to be using from Apple is an iPad for a Teleprompter!

NIADA
Technical Director

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:40:53 pm

Did you see the Jobs interview/announcement in the thread below called "where it started with iMovie '08?"
This makes sense.
Here's what we know about Jobs and Randy.

1) A 5 minute vacation movie is a . . . movie.

2) If it takes more than 30 minutes to make a 5 minute movie, then someone is wasting their time.

3) Editing should be as easy as dragging tracks around with your fingers, since anyone devoted enough to telling stories with camera and sound shouldn't be burdened with outboard gear and a keyboard. How are all those young budding geniuses going to express themselves otherwise?

Ease is the essence of success, don'tcha know.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:56:46 pm

Or you could read about how the genesis of iMovie '08 was as a logging tool called First Cut.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:21:07 pm

For anyone who has had to deal with client selects as time code numbers on paper or rough cuts in which you have to go through to pull burn in timecode numbers from, being able to pull in iMovie projects means it's now easier to recommend to the client to pull selects and do their rough in iMovie sine we can pull that in directly. First Cut would have a much more complimentary name.

Rather than having animus towards iMovie, we'd have a tool to recommend for client selects and roughs.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:31:26 pm

That might work for certain workflows with certain cameras, but iMovie doesn't have as broad codec support as FCPX and also doesn't handle timecode (AFAIK). Maybe iMovie will inherit some new features like that via AVFoundation whenever it goes 64 bit (iMovie '12?).

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Jul 10, 2011 at 5:26:28 pm

Already read it.
Just amazed at how much Jobs gushes over it. Watch it again if you missed it the first time. It's practically the 2nd coming to editing - and it's iMovie 08.
What's more is that its very inception was driven by the need to make a "5 minute movie" in 30 minutes. Maybe their idea of a movie is synonymous with iPhoto's ability to make photo montages that automagically fit the length of a soundtrack.
Not once have I seen anyone from Apple's upper management express any insight on editing that reflected a deeper awareness of what's involved in story-telling - other than: one must get rid of the bad stuff and keep the "cool stuff."

Return to posts index

Brian Andrews
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:36:42 pm

While there is no doubt that FCP X is related to iMovie, you are taking points from the iMovie '08 launch out of context.

iMovie is for consumers. Apple is very clear on that. That demo was aimed at consumers--soccer moms and dads who want to quickly and easily edit family videos.

You can't lump Apple's views on making video editing quick, easy and fun for those folks into their entire philosophy.

I know fairly intelligent people in the mid 40s who have never downloaded photos off of their digital camera into their computer. They take the camera to Walgreen's and print photos.

These are the people Apple is trying to reach with iMovie.

Apple has always been about giving ALL of us great tools to do great things.

Hopefully, they will continue to do the same for the Pros with future enhancements to FCP X.

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
on Jul 10, 2011 at 3:46:09 pm

If (a big IF) FCPX were to come to a yet to be released iPad HD Pro, then it would be a completely dumbed down version of the current iteration of FCPX. This in my humble opinion would be even more useless to some of the other veteran editors than FCPX. So why worry or even discuss a non existent app for a non existent piece of hardware.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 10, 2011 at 3:56:44 pm

You have interesting observations about Garageband. It’s similar when one also looks at iMovie for the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch in the iTunes App Store and compared it to the iMovie for the desktop in the Mac App Store, there are many similarities in both versions but also many differences, particularly as relate to the different displays the applications are designed to support. I don’t see that having FCP X on an iPad would mean Apple is abandoning the desktop; it’s more mobile on the iPad and that could be used to one’s advantage as has been described elsewhere. And it might only cost $49... who knows?

They would not be a replacement for serious NLE work, but still might be useful even for serious NLE editors and producers I would imagine, especially when it could interface to the desktop version. It certainly would not mean Apple is abandoning the desktop but augmenting how you can work and remain connected to your work wherever you are.

Obviously many people are not afraid of or insulted by the possibilities and if some products on some platforms are not useful for others, that’s fine too. I’m sure you’ve noticed over the years consumer products like Garageband have become increasingly powerful and likely will continue to do so. As mobile processors and graphics ‘cards’ also increase in their speeds and capabilities, it may be quite surprising in a few years to see what can be accomplished as you lie on the couch on your day off from work. Certainly this vision of being connected always is even removing the concept of a day off work—you are still free to leave everything behind and head to the beach with the family, but if inspiration strikes, it could be nice to explore it on your iPad before you return to the office.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 11, 2011 at 12:49:07 pm

[Rick Lang]It certainly would not mean Apple is abandoning the desktop

But it most certainly could mean that. Do you know what Apple's roadmap is any better than anyone else?

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:13:47 pm

You are right that the long-term direction could mean that, but I don’t think so based on what’s happened with Garageband and iMovie. The mobile versions of these desktop applications are not as capable as the desktop versions at this time but do not appear to me to be a replacement product. It’s true it’s not necessary to own the desktop version to utilize the mobile version, but the mobile versions are more limited and could be seen as complementary products to be used on a more restrictive platform and used by a broader less-demanding audience but I am suggesting this doesn’t preclude a ‘pro’ from making use of the mobile tools if it was useful to them.

Following the argument that the best camera is the one you have in your hand, just as mobile-device cameras abound, they would not replace a pro camera but nonetheless over time are able to take a quality picture for limited purposes and even a pro may use it for effect or convenience. Since Apple already has iMovie on the iPad and continues to offer a more functional iMovie on the desktop, I would expect if Final Cut did appear in some form on a high resolution iPad, it would have reduced functionality (especially with regard to media inputs and outputs) but could have a useful purpose in a professional capacity along with FCP X. Examples of how it could be used have been discussed by others on Creative COW.

I have no knowledge of Apple’s roadmap other than the speculation in the public domain.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:13:37 pm

[Rick Lang] "I have no knowledge of Apple’s roadmap other than the speculation in the public domain.
"

Nobody does. :-) Based on the events and non-events of the past few weeks, we can assume that few of Apple's partners do either....

I assume that FCPX will be on iPad as soon as humanly possible, pedal to the metal, but money talks. The quarter ending in March (Apple's FY Q2) is traditionally kinda pokey, but it was actually Apple's biggest Q2 for Mac sales in history, up 28% from the year before.

That includes iMacs and the various flavors of MacBooks of course, but compare to iPad unit sales of a little over 4 million. More than Macs, yes, but not crazily so -- and in fact under Wall St. expectations of 6 million -- and with a much lower ASP, and, I'm guessing, margin.

Apple said in their Q2 call that they believe iPad to be having a halo effect on Mac sales...well, iMacs anyway...so if iPad sales are *driving* Mac sales, and not cannibalizing them, then why on earth would Apple consider dropping Macs? That's not just leaving money on the table. That's throwing money OFF the table.

In the new tradition of disclosures here at Creative COW, in addition to the usual disclaimer that I am speaking only for myself, I disclose the following: not only do I have zero inside information, I have based everything I have said in this post on the assumption that Apple means what it says in public. Insert your own punchline here.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:07:32 pm

"Next release will be awesome." - Steve Jobs

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:42:14 pm

I"m a bit late posting, but I teach during an after school program on the high school level iMove on iPad2. All editing is finger based. FCPX is designed for this. Only a matter of time and we will be gliding our fingers over a tablet computer that is much faster than a laptop, equal to an 8 core desktop, small and with a lot of battery juice! And don't forget that the Kinect technology of Microsoft will one day allow us to edit in mid-air. :-)

Ted Irving
Freelance Content Creation
CBS MaxPreps/BBN3
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]