Samsung 30 TB drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Samsung 30 TB drive
on Feb 21, 2018 at 10:27:53 pm

Just came across this today:

http://doddlenews.com/samsung-ships-30tb-ssd-drive/

Has anyone really started shooting in 8K resolution?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: Samsung 30 TB drive
on Feb 21, 2018 at 10:48:22 pm

1 - cool!
2 - yes!

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 21, 2018 at 11:05:44 pm

load 30 of these 30TB into this -
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/tes-3085u

and you get 900 TB in 2 Rack units.
But considering that according to http://www.red.com/tools, that 8K full frame is under 200 MB/sec, which can be achived with nice boring SATA drives, isn't this a little over kill ?

http://www.red.com/tools/recording-time

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 22, 2018 at 2:07:11 am

In a few years we will look back and laugh at why we thought 30TB SSD was overkill, until we look at the current price. When this is cheap we will all need it. Meanwhile, Bob's right. SATA RAID is fine.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 22, 2018 at 2:05:41 pm

I know I will get yelled at by younger editors for bringing this up, but "back when I was a youngster" - and we had
3TB and 9TB AVID SCSI drives (and smaller before that) - there was not that much space, so you did your low res cut (now called proxy workflow), and RE CONFORMED at the end of the job to full resolution (or you went to a linear on line house to conform the video with your edit list). Fast forward to today - "kids" (you know, the ones that love FCP X, and started making videos without a lot of knowledge) - don't know the process of conform. So I can install a 100 TB shared storage system for them, and because of no conform process (why cant we edit with the naitve 6K media all the time) - 100TB of storage is used up in 9 months.

So of course, you are correct - we will look back and say "900 TB - I need more than that ! - that will be used in less than a year".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 22, 2018 at 2:55:05 pm

[Bob Zelin] "and we had
3TB and 9TB AVID SCSI drives "

TBs? I remember hiring 36GB SCSI RAID's for our Avids and they weren't cheap!

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:10:04 pm

Mine was 8 70gb drives. Man I was something to behold telling people I had 500gb of scsi RAID storage!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 22, 2018 at 8:43:15 pm

The first graphics machine I worked on was a Quantel Paintbox. The bare 10 inch platters were, if I remember correctly, 335mb (that's Megabytes!). Of course we were working in standard definition, putting graphics to one inch and Beta SP, so file size was fairly manageable. I still have a few of the bare platters kicking around my office for curiousity sake.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Feb 22, 2018 at 11:03:29 pm

I had a media 100 system with 4 gigs of the nosiest possible raid you can imagine. and I thought that was a lot of storage!

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
on Feb 23, 2018 at 12:46:06 pm

Oh yes. We had 6x 18GB drives a little bigger than a BlackMagic Ultrastudio HD mini. On Mac 9500s. Lol!

K

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 22, 2018 at 11:48:19 pm

[Bob Zelin] " "back when I was a youngster""

I remember the first Micronet 2 GByte Raid 0 disk array I bought in 1993. Micronet did not even know it would not work for the continuous needs of video capture and playback (somewhere around a maximum of 3 MBps MJPEG capture as I recall; SVHS quality!). After some consultation with senior tech support staff they wrote an updated driver for me and shipped it overnight on a floppy in order to get the thing to work with my little Radius VideoVision Studio card (on a Mac Quadra 840av). I guess I must have been their first video beta tester. Fun times.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 23, 2018 at 3:18:22 pm

Wow, you guys had it nice.

My first external storage unit was an 11 megabyte (11Mb!) unit made by Corvus. It was roughly the size of a shoebox and arrached to my original beige 128k Mac with a tiny 2 pin serial cable since SCSI and the other parallel protocols weren’t a thing yet.

How far we’ve come!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 24, 2018 at 4:27:41 pm

well, just to show you how old I am, I remember (but never used, or knew how to use) the PDP-11 based CMX computers that used a PAPER TAPE loader to load the software (even though 8" Floppy disks were already out).
I remember thinking how insane it was to have this ribbon of paper that had to be loaded to get the computer to run. And the mindset of people back then were no different than of today. Anything new sucked. They had
IVC Helical 2" VTR's and had just received their first Sony BVH1000 1" machine, and they all said "this Sony is a piece of junk compared to the IVC " ! I heard that type of analogy my entire career, on every type of product (right up to FCP X !).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Feb 25, 2018 at 11:31:21 am

You're not old, Bob. You wrote about your Avid having 3 TB and 9 TB drives.
If you'd written about an Avid with 3 GB drives, I'd have conceded you're old.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 25, 2018 at 2:45:37 pm

but I am old - I worked with AVIDs with drives smaller than 3TB each ! The 3TB ones were "the big ones".
Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Feb 25, 2018 at 4:46:22 pm

No Bob, 3 GB, 9 GB, 18 GB was the norm in the Avid in the nineties. Gigabytes.

The first Avid I saw in 1992 had one 2 Gigabyte drive. The first Avid I regularly edited on, in 1996 had two 9 Gigabyte drives totalling 18 Gigabytes. Yes Gigabytes. My phone has 4 times that much space.

You're saying 3 'TB' and 9 'TB'. Terabytes.
Avid got into the Terabytes only by the 2010s.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 26, 2018 at 3:18:06 am

[Neil Sadwelkar] " 3 GB, 9 GB, 18 GB was the norm in the Avid in the nineties. Gigabytes.
"

Agreed. We had a slew of MediaRAID and some others (I forget) that was stuck at those numbers.
Boy has time changed.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 25, 2018 at 7:57:17 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Anything new sucked."

And, "That will never catch on." Over and over again. Denial seems to be the predominant human condition. Fascinating watching all of its permutations on Social Media. Seemingly never-ending.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 26, 2018 at 9:05:53 pm

When I was in college, 35-odd years ago I wrote a paper about the then current state of the art of Capacitative and Laser video disks and compared them to video played from computer hard drives. In my paper, prognosticating ahead, I suggested that one day these optical disks could store an entire gigabyte... or even more! And when they could, they would supplant video tape for TV viewing. My professor, who later became the Communications Department Head, red-lined it and noted along the margins his comments that it was "unsubstantiated and highly unlikely", and gave the paper a B-minus. I keep that paper around somewhere for laughs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]