David Mathis
OT: iPhone X vs blender
on Feb 14, 2018 at 12:26:12 am

Surely they can’t be serious.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: OT: iPhone X vs blender
on Feb 14, 2018 at 12:30:08 am

This guy blends everything. It's his claim to fame.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 14, 2018 at 1:40:40 am

Hi David and Michael -
if we see the next post down from Bill Davis that says "the reason that this iPhone X tastes so delicious is because it was edited using FCP X" - would you both agree to fly with me (my treat) to Bill Davis' location and just kill him, so we don't have to hear this anymore - would you agree with me and go ? Lifetime in prison would be a vacation.
("your honor - the only reason we have crime in this country, is because these criminals don't use FCP X")

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 14, 2018 at 7:17:13 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Feb 14, 2018 at 7:19:15 pm

[Bob Zelin] "would you both agree to fly with me (my treat) to Bill Davis' location and just kill him, so we don't have to hear this anymore - would you agree with me and go ? Lifetime in prison would be a vacation. "

I shall be here, on my veranda, most days, sipping a Pina Colada - awaiting your arrival. (As my X use these days affords me significant free time)

Please be mindful that in Arizona, gunfire is often rapidly met by dozens of responding neighbors (and unknown random passers by) drawing their own arms and opening fire indiscriminately in the hopes they make it on the screens of the local affiliate of Fox News as citizen/vigilantes - so you may wish to pre-prepare local ID cards in advanced which you can wave furiously to establish that you are not out of state "immigrants."

Or perhaps you may opt for edged weapons to help insure your own personal safety whilst in our fair state?

Also, write me if you'd like references to the best local Mexican restaurants in my neighborhood - so you may refresh yourselves before you "come a-killin'"

Yours,

Bill.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 15, 2018 at 1:13:14 pm

LOL !

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 15, 2018 at 2:39:27 pm

I imagined you would more of "Office Space" him.

Outliner http://bretfx.com/product/outliner/
Clock Maker http://bretfx.com/product/bretfx-clock-maker/

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 15, 2018 at 3:32:34 pm

Hey -
I am just waiting for the first post that says "thank God for the new Apple HomePod, because now I can do all the audio mixing and finishing at my facility !"

For those of us in the industry for a long time, that remember the Auratone speakers that everyone owned, I am well aware that the original horrible Apple Earbuds became the replacement for Auratones. So perhaps the new Apple HomePod will become the "Gelenec replacement".

OMG - someone is still making Auratones !
https://www.auratonesoundcubes.com/

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 15, 2018 at 5:02:57 pm

[Bob Zelin] "OMG - someone is still making Auratones !"

"Awful-tones" and Yamaha NS-10. Like ice picks through your ear drums.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 15, 2018 at 5:26:19 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Feb 15, 2018 at 5:27:51 pm

[Oliver Peters] ""Awful-tones" and Yamaha NS-10. Like ice picks through your ear drums.
"

If considered by the someone ignorant of what’s actually going on...

The entire POINT of Auratones (in virtually every studio where I did my first 150 professional radio voiceovers) was to mimic the acoustic profile of an AM Car Radio so you could make sure the mix you had previously only heard via the big studio monitors would translate acceptably.

To win the game - you’ve got to AT LEAST know what game is actually being played.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 15, 2018 at 6:08:07 pm

[Bill Davis] "mimic the acoustic profile of an AM Car Radio"

Yep. I actually spec'ed some sets for a facility I helped to build and didn't realize that Auratone then made several models, including some 2 and 3-way speakers. So what arrived were a set of small bookshelf Auratones that sounded "too" good.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:12:17 am

The whole philosophy of listening on bad speakers to mimic the real world is totally flawed thinking. All it did was mimic what it would sound like on Auratones or NS 10s. A much better thing is to listen to the mix back with the volume down. This is a universal way to mimic the typical loss of high and low frequency response plus the boost to mids that happens automatically via the Fletcher-Munsen effect. It costs nothing and is a much better way to judge how the balance will sound on lesser systems.

After mixing approx. 1000 docos, I can assure you that this technique is the only one that works. I've never bought Auratones, NS 10s or let clients listen to the mix via the TV speakers. Actually I did once and had to remix because it sounded awful on all good speakers.

While I'm on redundant stuff, nobody really drinks Pina Colada do they?? I thought that was just a cheesy 80s song meme. If I had a pina colada, I'd be tempted to tip it into an Auratone. Then it would also make the studio sound & smell like something from last century.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 16, 2018 at 4:05:05 pm

[Michael Gissing] "The whole philosophy of listening on bad speakers to mimic the real world is totally flawed thinking."

Said someone who likely didn't grow up where the ONLY content you could consume outside your living room was via AM radio broadcast.

It was it's own VERY unique thing. Mono, Severely bandwidth limited. Ruthlessly compressed. Delivered typically to an OVAL speaker mounted to a car dashboard and firing onto a curved sheet of glass set at an angle above it.

And that's how millions and millions and millions of people listened to their music, got their news, and consumed the advertising spots that supported it all.

NOT to have a limited bandwidth crappy paper coned speaker solution on your monitor bridge that was similar to the end user experience would have been content creation malpractice. Auratone basic cubes fed THAT need. Perfect? Heck NO. But way, way, way better than monitoring a radio spot on the ALTEC broad spectrum monitors with giant woofers and powerful folded horns that were often the "main monitors" in the recording facilities of the day.

Auratone cubes WORKED. If on them, the VO was buried - it was far more likely it would ALSO be in your car..

It was a different time. And the smartest and best people working IN THAT SYSTEM were figuring out what worked - not just in theory - but in practice.

Just how it was.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 16, 2018 at 11:35:04 pm

[Bill Davis]"Said someone who likely didn't grow up where the ONLY content you could consume outside your living room was via AM radio broadcast. "

I'm 60 Bill and my first AM radio had valves. Of course I grew up with AM radio. That doesn't alter in any way my 40 years real world experience as a mixer pointing out that the use of a particular brand of 'bad' speakers is a flawed test. The latest CD I have just been mixing will be tested by the musicians in their car, their bluetooth speakers and god knows where else. What they are testing is that mixing on studio reference speakers is translating well to all mediums. But I don't need to do that test. I already know it will translate because I have a system that is better than the Auratone or NS 10 nonsense.

The point is about reference and for me a reference speaker has to be high fidelity. In the studio I have no need for the 'bad' speakers as I've already explained, the volume test is a far better way to gauge. And I test for mono, stereo, Dolby surround decode and 5.1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]