FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcpx is optimizied for apple hardware, they say

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
fcpx is optimizied for apple hardware, they say
on Feb 4, 2018 at 8:23:54 am

I assume I got it all wrong.

It's just my cheap computer, but still, what settings have I missed so that it ain't processing stuff to conform to what "optimized for apple hardware" means. Even though my computer is lame, surely, activity monitor should be redlined, like a tachometer on a street bike.

What settings do I fix, update, tweak, change (not so that my ram or cpu or gpu is a different one, but) so that my current hardware to optimization is ... ya know ... optimized? Or maybe those screencaps are what optimization is.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: fcpx is optimizied for apple hardware, they say
on Feb 4, 2018 at 1:21:43 pm

I don't believe that's how it works. For example, if you have a dual-GPU 2013 Mac Pro. Apple apps balance the load across both GPUs, while others don't. Or it's optimized for multiple core. So if your load is spread, then it wouldn't redline. Also things like ProRes in and ProRes out render a lot faster (FCPX, Compressor) than other apps.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 4, 2018 at 1:29:56 pm

[Richard Herd] " it ain't processing stuff to conform to what "optimized for apple hardware" means. Even though my computer is lame, surely, activity monitor should be redlined, like a tachometer on a street bike."

"Optimized for Apple hardware" means it's using the hardware efficiently, not squandering it. You can't merely go by CPU utilization.

For example I just tested a 60 sec 4k H264 test clip in both FCPX 10.3.4 and Premiere CC 2017.1.2, both on the same 2017 iMac running macOS 10.12.6.

In Premiere, just scrubbing forward/backward on the timeline pegged all CPU cores, even though player resolution was only at 1/4. The viewer update rate was about once per second and playhead responsiveness to JKL commands was very sluggish.

On FCPX the viewer update rate when skimming the same timeline was about 10x faster, yet the CPU cores were quite low. Playhead responsiveness to JKL commands was much quicker. This is on the exact same hardware and operating system.

Exporting that clip to 4k H264 in Premiere CC took 2 min 9 sec, and the CPU cores were very high. Exporting the same clip to the same parameters in FCPX took 38 seconds (3.4x faster), yet the CPU cores were only about 50%.

Your screen caps show background rendering. In most cases FCPX does not need this and you can disable it in preferences. It is generally fast enough on most machines to edit most 1080p codecs natively. If you are editing 4k H264, almost no machine is fast enough to edit that natively with perfect smoothness, even on FCPX.

If you need smoother, faster editing performance on H264 or similar "difficult" codecs, it's best to create proxies. Both FCPX and Premiere can do this. You can also transcode to ProRes optimized media, however this takes about 6x the space vs the camera-native H264.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 4, 2018 at 4:32:15 pm

[Richard Herd] "It's just my cheap computer, but still, what settings have I missed so that it ain't processing stuff to conform to what "optimized for apple hardware" means."

Are you talking about FCP creating Optimized Media (which just means it's transcoding everything to ProRes 422)? I think that's a tic box in the import settings or in preferences.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:12:40 am

What tha t means is that it doesn't work very well on a PC running windows.

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 5, 2018 at 1:26:45 pm

[Shane Ross] "doesn't work very well on a PC"

I know Shane's post is in jest, but there is something to note in that statement. By developing software that only has to work on Macs and macOS - and not cross-platform - the ProApps team can build deeper performance hooks into the software.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]