FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any advice before I upgrade?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Any advice before I upgrade?
on Jan 29, 2018 at 5:37:33 pm

2013 iMac, currently on 10.10.5 Yosemite, going to upgrade to High Sierra, and bring my FCPX from 10.2.3 to the latest, which I guess is 10.4.

I'm probably going to just burn my boats and not bother archiving the old libraries or converting them. The final masters are safely archived elsewhere and nobody's going to need them revised. The management is insisting we transition into PremierePro so FCPX will be my backup system for the times I need to so something I'm not yet proficient at doing in premiere. It's what I'm comfortable and competent with.

(Of course, saying that, as all practical magic users will tell you, will most certainly invoke a call tomorrow from 1 or more clients who suddenly feel motivated to ask for some changes to something approved months or years ago... but I digress...)

Anyway, many of you have trod this path before me, so I was looking for any tips or "gotchas" to be alert for.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Any advice before I upgrade?
on Jan 29, 2018 at 6:10:17 pm

Do you have to upgrade to High Sierra? Given the option, I'd recommend going to Sierra instead. I'm on High Sierra and have had more hard freezes and crashes than I ever had on Sierra.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 29, 2018 at 6:28:49 pm

Do a clean install of everything, I've had no major issues with HS but there are plenty of people who have apparently

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 29, 2018 at 7:35:55 pm

My experience transitioning from Sierra to High Sierra has been smooth as silk.

I've had to access maybe 10 "older" projects that were archived, and it typically takes about 10-20 seconds for the non 10.4 Library to be updated to the revised 10.4 format - and I haven't had a problem with any of them.

Just how it's worked for me.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 29, 2018 at 7:41:47 pm

[Bill Davis] "I've had to access maybe 10 "older" projects that were archived, and it typically takes about 10-20 seconds for the non 10.4 Library to be updated to the revised 10.4 format - and I haven't had a problem with any of them.
"

I'll second that, I've updated quite a few libraries with zero issues so far

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 30, 2018 at 12:52:22 am

I'm running multiple machines on HS and generally all is OK.

One gotcha if you use RED files in certain apps, like Resolve, is that HS has broken RED's OpenCL implementation. This can be fixed by switching your processing to Metal instead of OpenCL. Otherwise, the clips are black.

The other issue is CUDA. I have a 15" mid-2014 Retina MBP that still had the Nvidia card. CUDA in Adobe apps is gone and no update seems to fix it. I just run in OpenCL mode, but CUDA would have been nicer.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jan 30, 2018 at 2:16:20 am

10.13.3 seems to have finally sorted the CUDA thing on Apple's end. Talking right web/gpu driver and right cuda driver versions. Up til now you could fix it getting the pieces separately from Nvidia.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 30, 2018 at 12:51:01 pm

[Paul Neumann] "10.13.3 seems to have finally sorted the CUDA thing on Apple's end."

Not working at my end.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 30, 2018 at 9:58:26 pm

OK so my stupid question for today:

I finished the OS and FCPX upgrades, apparently without incident. But I must have made a change somewhere in how things look and work when importing.

What I'm used to is to hit the file import command, and the import window opens up to my RAID, a Promise Pegasus. In the listings of files, it *used* to list everything on that drive as lists of folders and lines of text, in windows fashion, but two things are different now: the icon in the import window for my RAID has a little "p2" logo symbol next to it, and I have NO P2 drives currently connected. What's up with that? I mean, I WILL plug in a P2 eventually for some thing, though normally I copy my cards to the RAID first. Why is that icon associated with my RAID in this way?

Secondly, Instead of a list view of the possible files to import, I have picons, loads and loads of slowly loading picons, the thing seems to want to show me every file in the RAID as a picon, and that's not what I'm wanting. What do you think I did, and more importantly how do I get back to simple list views in my import dialogue box?

Picture of what i'm talking about:

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 30, 2018 at 10:29:17 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 30, 2018 at 10:29:31 pm

Annnnd I found the list view/picon toggle, silly me. Still doesn't answer the P2 symbol question, though

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]