FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharing files between two editors

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Shand
Sharing files between two editors
on Jul 31, 2011 at 12:01:13 pm

Hi,

I hope this is in the right forum, please direct me to the right one if not.

I currently work for a small video production company. There are two editors (myself included). We often share projects that our company are working on. For a long time we have passed back and forth the hard drive we are using for the project but this is becoming cumbersome. What is an affordable solution to share projects. Are there hard drives out there which you can connect two firewire cables to and work off the same time? Ive seen servers but they seem pretty pricey.

Any help would be great

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Sharing files between two editors
on Aug 1, 2011 at 2:31:54 am

Try the SAN forum, but no, there is no way to have two editors work off a single FireWire drive. You'll find the least expensive shared storage solution is indeed a server, sharing a fast RAID via Ethernet. You're looking at many thousands of dollars minimum.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Sharing files between two editors
on Sep 1, 2011 at 1:09:17 am

Mac or PC? On Mac desktops you can add internal drives and stripe them into a RAID. That gives each user a decent amount of local storage. Then get a good Ethernet Switch and network them together. Simply mount the other computers RAID and you now can edit with that footage like it's on your computer. Cost? About $200 for four 1 terabyte drives for 2 terabyte RAIDs in each computer.

Want more? Add a SATA card to both Macs and a JBOD storage box, load it up with drives and you can network that as well.

Not thousands by a long shot.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]