FORUMS: list search recent posts

BRU-PE progress bar stuck??

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
BRU-PE progress bar stuck??
on Oct 17, 2013 at 6:17:16 pm

Would have preferred to contact support about this directly, but I'm out of the service support period. And maybe this is a known issue so someone may have a fix...

Parameters...
BRU-PE 3.0.2 build 113 BRU 18.0.0
Tandberg LTO-5 SAS external
connected to
Atto Express SAS H680 - driver - osx_drv_esashba2_210
installed in a...
Mercury OWC Thunderbolt PCIe
connected via TBolt to a...
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 2.6 GHz Intel i7
running
MacOSX 10.8.4
buffer set to 2048k. Tried with default 128k too.
'Parse files' disabled.

Issues...

Slow estimate
In Quick Archive when we start archive it takes up to 20-30 mins to complete the 'Estimating Backup' stage. We are backing up about 1 to 1.3 TB of shoot files from an Alexa camera. So, typically, write to a tape...

652097216 blocks (1304194432KB) written
152395 files (152084 regular, 311 other)

Lots of single frame files since there are .ari frame sequences for each shot.

Progress bar stuck
Then when the archive starts, the progress bar (next to the 'Abort job' button) stays at the minimum and doesn't show any progress. Even the one above seems to advance to a point and then stays there throughout.
But the archive happens fine and the verify happens fine too. And we can even restore fine. So the backup is happening correctly. Just that the progress bar doesn't increment. So its a 'cosmetic' issue.

This didn't happen in OSX 10.6.8 as I remember. And I haven't done this (backup to LTO-5) in a long time, assistants have been doing backups for me. So today I did this for the first time since months and noticed the above issues.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: BRU-PE progress bar stuck??
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:24:09 pm

Hi Niel -
while I cannot answer this question (Tim Jones will have to answer from Tolis Group) - I just "for the heck of it" tried the free HP StorOpen LTFS software, using a Mac Mini, and ATTO card, and an LTO6. I just wanted to see how it worked. I archived a 4 gig file to an LTO6 tape - just to see the process. I was surprised to see that while the software seemed easy to use, when the archive started, it too got "stuck" and eventually said that it would take 3 hours to backup. My reaction was "this is a piece of junk", but in less than 5 minutes, everything archived properly, and there were no problems. I restored the file to confirm that there was no data corruption. So I saw the same thing with another software program, using a Mac Mini, running OS X 10.8.5.

I find it interesting that you see the same thing with Tolis BRU.
Perhaps this is a cosmetic problem.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 18, 2013 at 3:14:17 am

I too had some occasional success with LTFS on a new LTO-6 on a friend's system. But the 'peace of mind' verify that BRU gives you is of value as our use for LTO is as a tertiary backup of original camera rushes. If there's something like that with LTFS I'd go there.

Neil Sadwelkar
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 19, 2013 at 6:30:15 pm

Hi Neil,

First - be sure to open a ticket with our support team (support.bru.com).

We have had reported issues with the estimate pass getting confused and appearing to hang, and I know that that code was completely rewritten for 3.1 because we uncovered an NSTask race condition in the current code. We'll be launching BRU PE 3.1 after SMPTE, so I'll post another note here when you can grab the new build.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 19, 2013 at 6:34:28 pm

Tim,
I've made a ticket just today.

Also, to be sure, I installed BRU 3.0.2 same build as mine in a MacPro 8-core running 10.6.8. And there the progress bar works. But with both my systems OSX 10.7.5 and OSX 10.8.4 its stuck.

I'll await the 3.1 build. Thanks.

Neil Sadwelkar
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 22, 2013 at 1:43:01 pm

I'm out of luck.

I made a support ticket. And got a reply that I'm out of support so I can't get a response. So my only hope is this forum. Or go out and buy support just to get help for something that seems broken.
Or live with a broken progress bar.

But I'll test this out with different MacOSes and if I find a fix, I'll post it here.

Neil Sadwelkar
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:53:54 am

Hi Neil and all,

Actually, you're not out of luck. He shared your ticket with me and both of your issues are known (although the circumstances that cause them in some situations and not others are not) - as Mike indicated in your ticket - and both are fixed in the upcoming 3.1.0 release.

Since middle number (3.X.Y) updates are considered minor, all BRU PE 3.x users can upgrade at no cost (we only charge if you're out of support and the major number changes).

If all goes well with the installer testing tomorrow, we're aiming for a Wednesday release. I'll update here when we know.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]