FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mezzo Recovery

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Carlson
Mezzo Recovery
on Oct 11, 2013 at 2:56:29 am

I realize this has been asked before, but is there currently (2013) any way to recover files from tapes that were backed up using Mezzo other than getting them to a vendor who still has a working copy of the software? I know some people were working on reverse engineering a solution, since the company is long out of business. Did anybody ever achieve that?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Carlson

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Mezzo Recovery
on Oct 11, 2013 at 5:55:49 pm

Hi Tom,

That truly is the only way. The Mezzo format is a closely guarded (and most likely lost) format. If you don't have a copy of Mezzo (on OS 9), you're otherwise out of luck. Unfortunately, this is also one of the cited cases where using Proprietary software is bad.

I've got to get on a soap box about this for a few lines -

Because we're aware of this issue, this is why BRU's broad platform support and code escrow programs are so different when you look at archival and storage formats from the perspective of "proprietary".

Because BRU:
  • Runs on every platform out there
  • Because we have existing and upcoming code escrow agreements with major organizations
  • Because it's in our corporate by-laws that if we ever decide to quit diong this and go fishing the source code will revert to non-restrictive, open source BSD License

Your data is very safe with BRU - now and into the future.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tom Carlson
Re: Mezzo Recovery
on Oct 11, 2013 at 6:00:51 pm

Yup! What he said!

By the way Tim, huge kudos to your support department over there. Mike spent a good part of yesterday helping me sort through some issues I was having TTT (mostly my own fault) and was most patient and explained things clearly and concisely. Worth the price of admission right there!!!

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]