FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTO-5 Tape deck squeal?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin Crane
LTO-5 Tape deck squeal?
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:47:15 pm

Just bought an HP Storageworks 3000 HH deck and have noticed during a restore that the machine is making a high pitch squeal from time to time, not constant. Is this common? This is the first time working with Data Tape Machines and was wondering if there might be an issue with the deck or something else.

Thanks
Devin Crane
FLC-Productions

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: LTO-5 Tape deck squeal?
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:24:45 pm

We go through a lot of these exact drives and while they make all kinds of noises, they don't generally do anything I would call a squeal - kinda depends on what a squeal sounds like to you.

My guess would be this is more likely a situation with the media... what brand of tapes are you using? While all LTO media supposedly meets the requirements of the consortium, we've seen some brands not performing as well as others. Did you try another brand tape?

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:13:53 pm

We used the HP tape that came with the deck. The squeal was only intermittent and only happened during layback, which didn't have any issues.

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:32:17 pm

We have experience with and have seen no problems with HP tapes.

I'd keep an eye on it (or ear as the case may be). Let archiving errors be your guide. Be sure to keep an eye on "lost space" as that figure may be indicative of problems writing to tape.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]