problems with hp ltfs storeopen
on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:45:46 pm

we would like to do some of our backup with LTFS
since we use here HP tape we installed StoreOpen
we do it with HP StorageWorks Ultrium 3000 SAS LTO5 tape
And HP LTO5 data cartridge .

installing config and formating worked great
I do have a few problems with that:
(1) When i want to backup multiple files at once when the total capacity is large
or when i want to backup a single large file
capacity can be from several hundred gigabytes, to 1.5 terabyte.
In these cases StoreOpen is not responsive, and it won't release even after a few hours
Then if I close StoreOpen, wait a while and then open it so see what's in the tape, two things happens:
1.the mapping to the tape is missing
2.after a made the mapping when I want to have access to the tape I get message that I need to format the tape.
if I had data on the tape it was lost.

(2) sometimes when I'm copying data it refuses to copy some files, and asking "try again" but it won't continue. then I'm getting the following message "The file is too large for the destination file system"
even though there's no problem with the size of the file.
then I have no other option but click on skipe for that filr

(3) after that (2) if I would like to make another transfer of files I'm getting error message for the drive "not accessible". and if I open "computer" to see the drives the LTFS drive is missing
when I tried to mape the LTFS drive again, it says that the latter (I gave it before) is already taken
when I tried to mape it to another letter, it made the mapping but the drive was unacessable
nothing fixed it 'till I made restart to the server

does anyone ever had these kind of errors?
has any idea how to fix it?

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: problems with hp ltfs storeopen
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:18:40 pm

What version of Storeopen are you using? Also, what SAS card?
I have not seen that type of behavior with LTFS. Copying 1.5 TB... won't work. Not enough space on the cartridge.
LTFS on the Mac isn't very nice. Whenever you are copying to the tape you should leave things alone - completely. Don't try to open any directories on the tape volume while it's copying or do anything with it. The finder will try to generate thumbnail previews from files located elsewhere than the current tape position which throws the finder into spinning beachball mode. On Win the preview generation is disabled for LTFS which makes it a much smoother experience.

Simply copy, past and let it do its thing. In any case, the mapping of the drive should never go missing and I have never experienced that. Try HPs tape tools and check for issues and errors with it. That would be my first tip to find the reason for those issues. This is definitely not normal behavior, there may be an issue with the drive or the card.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Hadar Kre
on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:45:43 am

StoreOpen Version 1.2.2.
I just saw that there's a newer version so I'll try to install it and then check it out

I use
HP ProLiant M110 G6
windows server 2008 R2
LTO driver version 1.0.7.1
LSI_SAS version 1.28.3.52
LSI Adapter, SAS 3000 series
HP ULrium 5 SCSI

HP tape tools didn't find any errors

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:48:33 pm

Storeopen is at 2.1.0. It's significantly better than 2.0 and I haven't even tried anything before that release.
So, yes, upgrade and see if that helps. We have the same SAS card and the same tape drive and no issues with 2.1.0.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]