FORUMS: list search recent posts

PresStore vs. Chronosync: to sync or backup?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Lahat
PresStore vs. Chronosync: to sync or backup?
on Aug 7, 2013 at 6:28:27 pm

We're backing up our SAN using disk-based backups, with two rotating sets of eight 4TB drives in RAID5 mode. This has worked for us well over the past 3 years, I just upgraded to larger drives and moved from a slow NAS to a fast DAS.

The weak link has always been the software (Retrospect). Its instability, useless email reporting, and lack of support for rotating sets made it a very annoying compromise. My candidate for replacement has been Archiware P5 (PresStore), but now I'm wondering... what am I really gaining this way? I've used Chronosync for smaller tasks and really like it... but can I trust it to handle all of our data?

For backing up w/ PresStore:
  • A "real", hefty program that you can trust your company's storage to
  • Spending $1,500 on it makes you feel like it's a serious solution...
  • Is PresStore's encryption more reliable than FileVault2?

For synchronizing w/Chronosync:
  • Designed to be used with disks, while PresStore has a complete tape library-based paradigm that I still find confusing for disk sets.
  • Leverages the advantage of disks that all data is instantly accessible; in case of a catastrophic failure we can even mount the backup as "online" storage without needing new storage to restore it to.
  • Data is natively stored, you're not dependent on the software for restores.
  • I've never had issues with Chronosync, including running test backups of our entire SAN. It takes about 20 minutes to scan 14TB and a million files, and then copies/verifies at the speed of the storage.
  • This program may have the best software support I've ever experienced. The developers even helped me with custom patches for our (now-defunct) Avid Unity 4.
  • $40 compared to $1,500... (almost TOO cheap!)

What are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
Re: PresStore vs. Chronosync: to sync or backup?
on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:16:24 pm

I use both

Online > Nearline ( Disk to Disk -server-1 Raid1 to Raid2) Chronosync
Online > Backup (Disk to Disk server-1 Raid1 to server-2 Raid1 ) Chronosync
Backup> Backup (Disk to LTO server-2 Raid1 to LTO5) PresStore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]