FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imagine Products PreRollPost Archiver User Review

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Francis
Imagine Products PreRollPost Archiver User Review
on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:31:57 am

Just thought I'd post a user review of an archive software product for Mac that not many seem to be aware of. It's called PreRollPost, and its from Imagine Products, the same guys that make ShotPutPro, ProxyMill, and HD-VU. Basically, it's an LTFS GUI that really optimizes and improves the LTFS workflow and experience on a Mac. The software is $499.

I've tried HP StoreOpen and making LTFS work in a bare bones fashion on the Mac, and like many of you discovered that was definitely NOT the way to go for me. Kind of scary in fact. For the past three years or so we've been using BRU PE, we're up to nearly a thousand archives on BRU and despite its quirks and interface issues it has been OK, although with a lot of archives you better get a cup of coffee while the program loads up, it takes a while. We've had a lot of experience with data tape, going back to the Quantum LTO-3A, AIT, and DLT before that, and having used BRU, Retrospect, Mezzo Archiver, and ArcServe software in the past...

The lure of an open standard (LTFS) that nearly all archive software programs support made me really look hard at a number of the archiving options at NAB this year. Most of those options were pretty expensive. But we've already got two HP Ultrium 3280 desktop tape drives, so all I really needed was the software, and most of the alternatives I saw were turnkey solutions. On the Mac, that basically leaves you with BRU, Retrospect, and now Imagine's PreRollPost.

If you've used BRU, PreRollPost has basically the same functionality from an interface perspective. You drag the contents you want to archive into the Backup window, name the archive, and hit enter.To restore, you navigate through the Mac Finder-like GUI and drag the contents you want to retrieve into the Retrieve window, choose a target location, and hit enter. No learning curve, really simple. The program optimizes the order of the files to provide the fastest transfer, and in my experience there have been no slow downs at all. It's just as fast as BRU. When the files are copied, everything is verified using MD5 checksum. A database is stored of all your archives in MySQL Lite format, another open standard.

If you're interested in a low cost LTFS archiving option for Mac, I encourage you to try it out. The demo download allows you ten separate backup sessions, plenty of time to see if it will work for you. If you buy the software and down the road decide to do something else or they stop developing PreRollPost, all of your archives are in an open industry standard format everyone supports, no worries!

Kevin

Return to posts index

Nathan Grout
Re: Imagine Products PreRollPost Archiver User Review
on Jul 27, 2013 at 2:36:41 am

This sounds really great. Thanks for the review. I hope to make an LTO-5 drive purchase soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]