FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTFS Mounting

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jorge Bernal
LTFS Mounting
on Jun 22, 2013 at 3:44:15 am

Hi,

I literrally just received and put together a brand new Quantum LTO-6 Tape drive. I am running on an iMac with Mountain Lion and using Sonnet Tech's Echo Express SE Thunderbolt chassis with an ATTO H680 SAS card to which the Quantum tape drive is plugged into.

I downloaded a 30 day trial of BRU Producer's Edition and the software does see the drive. However I've also read that the new LTFS software allows for drive mounting in Finder and use "drag and drop" to write stuff to tape.

I've installed the LTFS utility from Quantum but nothing happens nor I can see any LTFS "app" in the applications folder or a preference pane on System Preferences.

What the heck do I need to do to get it to mount? I am evaluating BRU's solution and I will likely buy it but in the mean time I need to dump a lot of data of my RAID and I don't want to run the risk of dumping it with BRU and later decide I want a different solution and have my files stuck on a different format.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jorge Bernal
Re: LTFS Mounting
on Jun 22, 2013 at 4:06:15 am

Nevermind.... /facepalm

I had forgotten to drag the app that was missing into the Applications folder. I thought the LTFS installer did that but I was mistaken.

All clear now!

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 24, 2013 at 3:59:56 pm

"I am evaluating BRU's solution and I will likely buy it but in the mean time I need to dump a lot of data of my RAID and I don't want to run the risk of dumping it with BRU and later decide I want a different solution and have my files stuck on a different format.
Keep in mind that all BRU products provide full restore capability even after the demo period expired - just for the case that you describe. Our service mark is "BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters." drives what we do and we never want o place a customer - demo or otherwise - into a situation that prevents them from being able to restore there data.

Tim

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Jorge Bernal
on Jun 24, 2013 at 4:16:54 pm

Thanks Tim!

I am actually about to buy the license right now. After playing with it through the weekend and reading around I realized LTFS is not what I want for archiving.

Seems to be the right solution for me. I was able to grab a Quantum LTO-6 drive for $2300. Works like a charm with the Thunderbolt chassis and ATTO SAS H680 card. Blazing fast!

I guess the BRU UI could use a face-lift but it does the job and I didn't have to spend much more than $3.5k for the whole setup. If only CatDV would spend some time integrating with it it would be even better.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 24, 2013 at 5:23:52 pm

I guess the BRU UI could use a face-lift but it does the job and I didn't have to spend much more than $3.5k for the whole setup. If only CatDV would spend some time integrating with it it would be even better.

We're always excited to get input from our users on UI design, so please hit support.bru.com and submit a feature request.

As for CatDV, you can incorporate a BRU archival mechanism with the DAX Broadcast Archive component. DAX acts as the middle manager for maintaining Nearline read and write caching while using the BRU engine to archive or retrieve data from tape.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 28, 2013 at 4:26:53 am

Hey Jorge, i'm running a (Nearly) identical setup to yours.

Quantum lto 6 ATTO H680 and Echo Express 11 for the chasis connection to a Mac Mini.

I can't get either BRU or HP_StoreOpen to find the tape drive. Mini sees the Atto card, but none of the software wants to acknowlege the tape drive.

Before I try to locate a different cable, can you tell me if you did anything special in the setup. I've installed the ATTO driver. I installed an ATTO config tool, but it seems to be for a raid setup, not this particular card.

Under system information i have a SAS address- so it seems to see the card.

Am i missing any drivers? Quantum doesn't seem to have any Mac drivers.

Did you do any voodoo, or did it just work?

Thanks

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 28, 2013 at 5:14:49 am

Nevermind. Fell into the trap of trying the drivers that came with the device.

Downloaded new drivers from the ATTO site, and all seems to be working. Wish companies would stop sending driver discs. They seem to cause more problems then they are worth.

Glenn

Glenn

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:41:49 pm

Glenn,

Which ATTO card do you have? The H680 and R680 require different drivers. Also, the drivers included in their Driver CD are not the latest, so make sure that you've downloaded the latest from ATTO's site.

Also, if you have a R3 or H3 card, they are not supported under Thunderbolt.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jorge Bernal
on Jun 28, 2013 at 8:35:16 pm

I did have to download the ATTO driver for my H680, other than that BRU saw the drive right away.

It was easier than I thought. It just took me a while to realize I had to run an additional installer from Quantum for the LTFS software.

Data transfer is fast! I am impressed at how fast LTO-6 can move a Terabyte of data (about an hour).

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:27:07 am

Even if LTFS does what you need it to, you should consider BRU. I have evaluated both and found BRU to be more reliable. Not that I found data missing using LTFS, just that I couldn't make it work reliably with StoreOpen or any other way with a Tandberg LTO-5 drive.
Maybe LTFS works better with an HP drive.

Bru is far more reliable and there is peace of mind that there is verification happening when writing to LTO.
I believe LTFS does not provide that kind of verification.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 15, 2013 at 2:49:22 pm

Neil's right about LTFS - visit this for some "thoughts" - LTFS Caveats - What you need to know.

And ... he got a tad bit ahead of the announcement. BRU Producer's Edition for Windows is coming. We're prepping for the start of BETA at the end of this month (July).

Drag and Drop, high performance with LTO-5 and LTO-6 drives, easily search offline (unmounted) tapes, archival-grade tape format, TRUE cross platform storage and delivery.

We'll be announcing as we get closer to the BETA.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:35:11 pm

Tim,

Hope these features find their way in the Mac version. And I hope you aren't dropping the Mac version when the Windoze version ships.

BTW will the Win version work on a Mac through Parallels? Or boot camp? And, like many other cross platform apps, will the Mac license permit one to run a Win install with the same license?

Right now my LTO-5 service with BRU is running full. So I may be in the market for a second install. This time, LTO6.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:24:08 pm

Hi Neil,

Definitely NOT losing the Mac love! The two apps will be on par and only the window decorations will differ from a user perspective.

We can definitely help with the LTO-6 add-on :).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bernard Dacanay
on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:52:23 pm

Hi Tim,

Been reading a lot about LTO and you always pop up with complete, detailed information. Thanks for being helpful!

We just got our HP Ultrium 3000 LTO-5 External drive. I also ordered an ATTO Thunderlink so i can go from MiniSAS to Thunderbolt.

I downloaded the BRU PE demo and wanted to play around with it. But since i don't have the Thunderlink yet, i tried connecting the SAS to eSATA and the eSATA to USB 3.0 (using an adapter from newertech which i use to connect our Redmags and Phantom Cineflash).

The setup doesn't seem to work as BRU doesn't seem to detect the device. Is this simply a problem with my connection or am i doing something wrong? I also tried the HP Openstore app and it doesn't see the drive either.

Just though i'd play around with the BRU and LTFS before deciding on a long term backup solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:55:35 pm

[Bernard Dacanay] "I downloaded the BRU PE demo and wanted to play around with it. But since i don't have the Thunderlink yet, i tried connecting the SAS to eSATA and the eSATA to USB 3.0 (using an adapter from newertech which i use to connect our Redmags and Phantom Cineflash). "

Sorry Bernard, but that will never work. You won't damage the drive, but SATA is not SAS. Further, only the ATTO family of SAS HBAs will properly support tape (and we've tested them all).

Once you get the ATTO, all will be well.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bernard Dacanay
on Jul 16, 2013 at 11:01:38 pm

Wow, your response time is 3mins!

Yeah, i figured it wouldn't work. But it was worth trying. haha

Thanks Tim!

Return to posts index

Fredrik Lundqvist
on Apr 7, 2014 at 1:51:29 pm

This might not be the place to ask this,
since it has been about a year since the last post but,
I have a problem connecting my LTO-5 and my ATTO Thunderlink to my iMac. I don't know much about LTO-5 or ATTO thunderlink but my problem is that it doesn't seem that my LTO-5 won't show up on my computer.

I don't know if there is a specific software I need to make it work or something but I would appreciate any help :-)

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:16:23 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:22:22 pm

You do need to use some type of software to allow the Macintosh to recognize the LTO tape drive. The OS X platform does not offer native tape support built-in. So, whether you are using the product such as BRU or the free LTFS solutions you will need to add software to allow the Macintosh to talk to tape drive.

Additionally, when using LTFS, you MUST use the LTFS driver and tool layer from your drive's manufacturer.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]