FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up files from Caldigit array w/ metasan to Cache-A

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Laslo
Backing up files from Caldigit array w/ metasan to Cache-A
on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:07:16 pm

Hi All,

I am curious what software people are using when moving data from their online storage to their cache-a device.

I am currently using Chronosync on a Mac Pro, but I had some issues with it not detecting that a clip it transferred got corrupted during transfer. After the initial sync completed I synced again to make sure all files went and it told me all files were present, even though the corrupted clip was 1.5 GB smaller. It turns out the default setting is to check modified date and not file size. Only by restoring and testing the project did I realize the issue. I have also found issues with restored clip sizes being reported as different by Chronosync but not different by Finder. I don't know if this is a function of going to the Linux based Cache-a from Mac OS or a glitch in the system.

My setup is a mac pro running metasan connected to a caldigit 24 TB storage array, and a Pro-Cache-5 connected via gigabit ethernet.

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks!
Mark

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Backing up files from Caldigit array w/ metasan to Cache-A
on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:33:39 pm

Mark,

I will also respond to your direct inquiry to me, but for the benefit of the community I'd like to share the following.

We have had other customers attempt to use Chronosync with our products and also reported experiencing issues. I am surprised to hear that it could copy files incompletely and not display any errors. That is not the case with Finder - if it completes a copy without errors, we've never seen this kind of issue, and if there is a problem, Finder always shows errors (similarly with Windows Explorer).

If for some reason you do not want to use Finder, another way to copy files to a Cache-A is with any FTP utility. This can be faster and also strips off those annoying AppleDouble files that provide little to no utility these days.

If other users out there are having success with different utilities, I encourage you to weigh in here.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
433 Park Point Drive #285
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]