FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 4444 external drives

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Bishai
ProRes 4444 external drives
on Mar 12, 2013 at 9:13:07 pm

I have a 2-hour feature film on an HDCAM SR tape which I want to have captured as a file format for archiving purposes on an external drive. It seems like ProRes 4444 is the best way to go.

Besides archiving, I want to be able to access the file to do some light editing in Avid MC5 for creating show reels or for compressing the film for screening purposes or uploading to websites for festival submissions, etc.

So, I'm looking for the correct options for an external HDD in terms of what I need. Will Firewire 800 work in this regard? Will a portable HDD drive be okay?

My computer is an iMac 27inch running OS 10.7.5, 3.1 Ghz i5 processor with 4GB of RAM.

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: ProRes 4444 external drives
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:05:45 pm

ProRes4444 is about 42MB/sec. When you get a drive, run AJA System Test on it, and check the speed. Certainly a Thunderbolt drive will do this, and if you had an internal eSATA drive, there would be no issue, but with FW or USB 2 drives, I cannot promise you that you will maintain the speed that you need. You need to get your hands on the drive, and run a speed test to see how fast it goes.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:37:36 am

Minor point, ProRes 4444 is about 42MB/sec in 30 fps (or 60i). Since he's talking about a feature film, he's likely in 24fps, and bitrate will be around 33MB/sec.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Peter Bishai
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:32:34 am

Thanks for the feedback...

Yes, it's a feature at 24 fps so that's a good point about the data rate. Someone suggested I go with the CalDigit AV Drive which is supposed to be optimized for video and runs at 85 MB/s over FW. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If not, I'll probably go with Thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:40:31 am

May do. May not. Depends linke Bob says run a test but I've not had great success with 4444.

If you have a macpro my pref would be buy another internal 2>4TB. Lob it internally with sled.

When done wip it out and drop it in a pelicase and put somewhere safe.

s

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]