FORUMS: list search recent posts

Considering Synology DS412+ NAS

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Crenshaw
Considering Synology DS412+ NAS
on Feb 25, 2013 at 8:31:17 pm

As we have transitioned to HD and a full digital workflow, we are in need of network attached solution for backup and archiving. After some research and budget considerations, I've landed on the Synology DS412+ expandable NAS. I've read nothing but great reviews but wanted to see if anyone here is using it and has additional information to share on it's performance or possible problems you may have encountered.

My budget of $1100 will start me out at 8TB using WD Red drives. We will be using it to support an Avid Nitris suite and a FCP suite.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Return to posts index

James Beattie
Re: Considering Synology DS412+ NAS
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:25:02 am

Depending on the resolution you are looking at this has the potential to work. When looking at the data you are trying to pass, you should always half the amount of potential data.

For a 1GB connection, you should expect to get around 512mb/sec. So if you are prores, you are about 140mb/sec. Avid, DNX 145mb/sec.

But remember, storage performance is about low latency, not just bandwidth. So the responsiveness of your array may be poor, even though you have plenty of bandwith to the box.

The Synology is typically intended as a network parking place. There are several Synology options that including iScsi. Which is essentially gigabit ethernet that is optimized for high bandwidth connections.

Typically you have a NAS, like a Synology connected with multiple Gig connections or a 10GB connection to a switch so you can get as much throughput to the storage as possible. If you had 2 Avids there would be a few tricks you would have to do to make it work.

You should be fine, but I would be concerned about the real-time functionality you would get.

I know it is more expensive, but you should consider some of the smalltree solutions. They are esentially computers with high bandwidth storage attached, and multiple network connections to a switch or to computers direct connected.

I work for a reseller that sells several high bandwidth options, but for 2 systems you may simply consider a smalltree rig.

Thanks
James

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:56:32 pm

Thanks James. All great info.

I'm not concerened with realtime performance. The edit systems have their own media stipes, I just need a place to store consolidated projects, raw footage, project files and rendered media from AE so they can be retrieved for revision or updating as needed.

I've been backing up to 50gig Blu-Ray but it's slow and an archiving nightmare with multiple dvds involved in a single project.

I've begged a few more dollars to order 3gig drives so I can start with 12TB in the base unit and add on as needed.

Thanks again for the response,
Mark

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:00:49 pm

In that case, it is an excellent solution. May I recommend Raid 6, or 5+1 configuration on the Synology.

Raid 5 will give you redundancy if you lose 1 drive, Raid 6 or 5+1 give you 2, but eats up your available space. Always have a spare drive, it can take 4-6 weeks to get a warranty replacement from the drive manufacturer.

I have used Drobo for this type of Archiving in the past as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]