FORUMS: list search recent posts

BRU PE says tape is full...when it shouldn't be!

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Kalinoski
BRU PE says tape is full...when it shouldn't be!
on Feb 7, 2013 at 7:03:25 pm

Hi all,

I've been running into this problem a lot lately with BRU PE 2.3.6...I go to backup some projects and get a tape full error when I should have plenty of space.

As you can see in the attached image, I was only trying to archive two folders totalling 550gb onto a new LTO4 tape...I should have plenty of room.

I also seem to be getting a transfer rate of around 55 MB/s which seems slow, but I'm not sure if that's normal. The LTO is copying from an 8 drive raid so the source drive isn't a bottleneck.

Nothing's had really changed on my system so I'm not sure why this problem has started. I did update the drive firmware today (using an HP1760) and SAS card driver and firmware (Atto H380) but that hasn't helped.

Thoughts?

Jason

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: BRU PE says tape is full...when it shouldn't be!
on Feb 7, 2013 at 11:36:01 pm

There are a couple of things that can affect how much data is written onto a tape -

Tape condition / drive condition - This can cause soft errors - where data blocks must be written to the tape multiple times to make sure that the blocks are written properly - and Hard errors - where the tape reports a lower available capacity than you would expect because of errors on the tape that cause segments of the media to be unusable.

Software overhead - the software used will have overhead associated with how the data is written to the tape - the software's format. In much the same way as a file written to a disk filesystem will cause eventual capacity loss because there will be a "smallest writeable size" (sometimes referred to as a cluster), most backup software has similar "smallest writeable size. For BRU, that overhead is around 18%. This is not wasted space, but rather the extra data that we track for your files to insure the most reliable recovery of your data.

If you combine these situations, you could witness a rather noticeable drop in storage capacity as it relates to your filesystem data.

What were you seeing previously with your LTO-4 drive and BRU PE?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Feb 8, 2013 at 4:39:07 pm

Thanks Tim.

I need to get this figured out so we decided it was a good time to upgrade to 3.0 and get some pro tech support involved...I'll follow up with your support guys.

Jason

Return to posts index

Diane Akam
on Jul 27, 2013 at 9:31:13 pm

Hi, I upgraded my BRU-PE to 3.0 and have found that the "how many tapes" estimation is quite off. I use LTO-4's (800gig native) and found even with just a 250 gig project program is estimating 2 LTO tapes. So I loaded up my archive with 640gigs - it obviously said to use 2 tapes, and left it to run overnight. In the morning it was all done - just on one tape. I was glad it worked, but now frustrated that the estimation is so off. So now I'm just allowing the 18% free space and archiving up to 650gigs for each tape.

Diane Akam
dnafilms.ca

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 29, 2013 at 10:11:30 pm

Hi Diane,

Have you opened a ticket with our support team to find out what's going on (support.bru.com)? I don't want to turn the Cow into TOLIS Group Support :).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Su-Jeng Sang
on Apr 26, 2014 at 8:03:44 am

What happened with this at the end? Did you solve it??

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Apr 28, 2014 at 2:45:00 pm

Yes, the problem was that the record heads on the LTO deck were going bad.

Apparently if there's write errors, the data gets re-written but the bad blocks are still on the tape (or something like that)

We replaced the heads and all worked well. BRU support diagnosed the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]