FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Backup External Hard Drive

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle Warren
Good Backup External Hard Drive
on Jan 29, 2013 at 5:47:02 pm

My iMac was one of the ones that has a potential faulty hard drive. So I've been waiting until I had the chance to clean it up, back it up and clone it before replacing the hard drive.

Every time I'm in the market for a new external hard drive, it seems the ones I use or liked suddenly have bad reviews! So I thought where better to get solid advice than here.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Good Backup External Hard Drive
on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:13:27 pm

they all have bad reviews, because they all stink. You must archive your information, and prepare for disaster. I had a cheap 40gig Maxtor drive on my business computer for over 10 years, and you know what this means - absolutely nothing - because I was lucky. I see brand new Hitachi Enterprise series SATA drives fail all the time.
While in my opinion Hitachi and WD drives are superior to Seagage, they all stink, and they all fail. There is only one correct answer - backup your data all the time, and always prepare for disaster. Then you will never have an issue.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mel Feliciano
on Jan 30, 2013 at 4:30:57 pm

I agree 100 percent with Bob. I like Western Digital Black Caviars because of their performance. They get good reviews and come with a 5 year warranty, but are more expensive than the Blue Caviar. A couple of years ago I purchased 3 (it was Black Friday) of the 1TB with 32MB Cache, retail box; no bare or bulk. The next day I had to return one of them to my local Best Buy store, because it never started. That thing was well protected inside the box and the box didn't show any sign of abuse.

The other day I booted up my old computer, year 2000 IBM IntelliStation. I keep this computer in a storage and had only turned it on 3 or 4 times during the last two years. To my surprise, all the hard drives (one IBM, one Seagate, and one Western Digital) are still working, including the 9GB Ultra Wide SCSI drive that came with the system.

The best advice is to backup and archive. That’s why I’m shopping for an LTO-5 drive. Right now I’m using blu rays, but they are too slow. No having a backup/archive system is like driving around without auto insurance.

Personally, I prefer Western Digital Black Caviars, but like I said above, even those can fail out of the box.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:17:39 pm

To answer the original poster, I really like the Seagate Constellation drives. They are more expensive than the consumer level models, but they are designed to last longer. I personally use bare drives with OWC's NewerTech Voyager Q as it provides ease of swap and both eSATA and USB-3 connectivity. Works great for both my Mac and PC systems.

For discussion, Mel's example of the failed WD drive is why we left WD and went to Seagate in all of our storage appliances. Over a 3 year period, we witnessed a huge failure of WD Black drives, most within the first 3 months of utilization. While WD happily replaced the failed drives, the fact that our customers had to deal with drive replacement at this level was unacceptable.

Since then, we've moved to the Seagate Constellation family in both our 3.5" and 2.5" installations and we've had 2 failures since the shift and those 2 were DOA and we suspect that they were the victim of problems in shipping.

Granted, our burn in test probably exercises a drive more in a 4 day period than most users would in a year of average use, but that's why we do it - we cull the herd. If the drive fails here, it won't fail at the customer's site.

In reference to his mention of the old drives, we've also got system running on older pSCSI drives from the '90s that still boot and run without errors - Sun, HP, IBM, SGI, AT&T, Motorola - all growing very long in the teeth, but all still running with o problems on their original drives. Moral of that store - "they don't make 'em like they used to." :)

WD's quality may have improved since last year, but we were unwilling to take the chance and revisit them.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:27:16 am

Do we have any video's available to see how to operate LTO drives ?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:08:43 pm

Using an LTO drive is simple - insert tape, run software, eject tape, store :) .

However, I believe that you're asking about using the software that controls the LTO drive. In that case, it varies depending on the software that you're using. Unfortunately, there are as many different ways as there are software options and many of those options have multiple methods of use.

Do you have a specific platform and software product in mind?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:26:08 am

i m thinking about 'LTO-5 Ultrium 3280 '.

Do I really need to buy a software?

what if I want to write in 'LTFS'. I assume if I want to write the data in LTFS format, I dont need to buy third party software.
Like bru- they have their own proprietary format which allows us to write a data and maintain catalogue.

Why do I need to buy software and what are my options?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 7, 2013 at 3:05:11 pm

LTFS has no cataloging support at all. If you're cataloging LTFS tapes, you're using a third party solution or you've spent the cycles developing your own solution.

There's a reason that LTFS is free - it doesn't really do anything but copy bytes to tape. Everything else is left up to the user as an exercise in either budgetary largess (pay for other proprietary support infrastructures) or developmental prowess (write your own database and access management apps).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Mar 7, 2013 at 4:17:25 pm

Tim

What are my options for the software if I have to go for HP LTO5 ultrium 3000 recorder.
Also do advice me if I want to use the LTO recorder with my macbook pro, what more peripherals I will need to install?

In general do advice me on elements that I need to purchase if I want to use the above mentioned recorder on MAC system(not necessarily on macbookpro )

thanks

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 7, 2013 at 4:30:25 pm

Hi Paul,

The first thing to consider is that your MBP must have Thunderbolt, or the following means nothing :)

We recommend either the ATTO ThunderLink and ThunderStream units, or the combination of the Sonnet Echo Express and ATTO ExpressSAS H680 or R680 HBAs to provide the Thunderbolt to SAS connectivity you will need. There are other boxes out there, but we've had the best luck with these units. The Sonnet solutions add a bit of flexibility as the ATTO units are dedicated and you can't add a second HBA such as a Red Rocket or a QIO reader card.

As for software, once you have the SAS support available, you can use the LTFS layer that others are mentioning or software solutions such as our BRU Server or BRU Producer's Edition. You can download a 30 day full demo from our web site. I can't speak to other vendors' solutions and Thunderbolt support, so hopefully some of them are on the COW and will chime in.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Mar 7, 2013 at 4:44:44 pm

thanks Tim

I will consider all your points when I will speak to the HP vendors.
Will let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]