FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reliable File Copying on a Mac?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrAd Steiner
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:18:59 pm

I see a lot of talk about the best hard drives, and the case that goes around them, but I'm even more worried about reliable file copies onto those hard drives.

I've copied large projects, with large files, to and from a SAN (built by Bob) to firewire drives, to local drives, to etc. And the MAC OS has let me down during copies; when one file fails, it just stops, or it hangs halfway, or due to connections, it fails...
I need checks on the copy process to ensure it's all been copied. I need an error log so I can figure out what happened if something fails. The ability to copy to multiple locations at once would be nice too.

I know ShotPut Pro does everything I need as far as from a card to a drive, but it doesn't look like it's suited to general file copying as well.
I know of several "cloning" software sets that will clone drives for me, but I'm dealing with folders, not entire drives.

I've searched for solutions, but the search terms I might use come up with a whole lot of garbage. I figure this is not such an unusual task, and someone here would have some recommendations.

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
Imageworks

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Reliable File Copying on a Mac?
on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:26:47 pm

Hi Brad,

I'm not trying to turn this into a BRU sales forum and I apologize if it's seen as such, but there's no way to PM you here.

Our BRU product will do a great job copying files with full verification between the drives at the speed of the drives. Because BRU applies a 32 bit CRC to each 2K of data read from the source drive (not just per file), the writer (restore) process can detect any flaws in the data as it's writing the files to the destination drive. Of course, any problems would be recorded into the execution log.

An example command would be:

cd /the/source/path
sudo bru -cf - . | (cd /the/destination/path ; sudo bru -xvvvf - -ua -PA )

Of course, you can be as broad or as granular as you like with what's actually processed.

You can reach us at +1-480-505-0488 if you'd like more information.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]