FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloud vs. LTO

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Cloud vs. LTO
on Jan 10, 2013 at 4:48:41 pm

I've always assumed that I need an LTO drive. But there are some big negatives:

1. cost. They're expensive, and now that my Ultrium 920 is giving me problems I'm seeing that there are continued costs of maintenance.
2. workflow. Unless you run a "library" device, or perhaps have the very latest LTO-6, you have to babysit to keep switching cartridges, to backup a large job.
3. off-site storage. If you want to be absolutely sure that a catastrophe in your office won't destroy your data, you need to make two copies and have an off-site place to store one set. That makes Negative #2 twice as irksome.

In seeking a repair of my Ultrium 920, I chatted with a technical support guy who suggested that I look into getting a T1 line and using the cloud for my archiving and backup. The amount of material that I need to protect varies - some weeks when I'm shooting, I need to backup a lot of data, but when I'm editing, I'd need only to backup the FCP and AE project files.

My objective is to automate the process, because I know that a backup process that operates "in the background" is the most reliable. As long as it happens automatically, and every day, then I won't likely have any days when I need to backup more than about 100-200 gb. Most days it's more like 1 gb.

If someone knows about or uses the cloud for a video business, I'd appreciate hearing your experiences and perspectives. Basically, I would like the same user-friendliness which some LTO vendors offer: a place which looks a lot like your RAID's file directory, with perfect copies of all of your existing file folders (in case of RAID failure, accidental deletions, or file corruption), along with a selection of the deleted folders for completed projects, which you have removed from the RAID for space reasons.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Cloud vs. LTO
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:37:55 pm

Getting a T-1 line is definitely not a good solution in our realm - a T-1 moves data at 1.4Mb/sec. That means 144Kb/sec or 8.64MB/min. If you do go to cloud storage, you'll need a much heftier line and I'd wager your local cable provider may have what you're looking for. I'd recommend a pipe of no less than 20Mb/sec up and down. That's costing me around $300/month. With that bandwidth, you can move data at around 2MB/sec or 120MB/min. Additionally, you do know that exactly when you need to restore that one important file, your network will be down and you'll have no way to retrieve the data ... :-(

However, replacing your dying LTO-3 with just an LTO-4 (you can still write to and read from LTO-3 tapes) will get you to 80MB/sec or 640MB/min.

If you work out the math and frustration of the comparably sluggish performance of even 20Mb/sec, you can see how that LTO-4 will pay for itself in just a few months.

As for library automation, check around. Smaller libraries (1 drive, 8 slots) are available for just a bit more than a standalone drive and they can provide 6.4TB of managed storage with LTO-4 or 12TB with LTO-5.

Tim

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Cloud vs. LTO
on Jan 15, 2013 at 2:33:18 am

Thanks, Tim. I've taken your advice and will be installing an LTO-4 drive.

I would still like to learn more about using the cloud. I have FIOS, so it seems viable. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cloud service that would be right-priced for a small production company?

Thanks again.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]