FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restoring VTAPE?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Duprey
Restoring VTAPE?
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:34:35 pm

Just got the Pro-Cache from CACHE-A, and I'm running into a problem. I read through the manual, and have an understanding of what the VTAPE is used for.

I accidentally renamed the VTAPE when I thought I was renaming a tape. (In the File Manager, On the Tape Directory side, The "VIEW" pulldown menu was set to 'VTAPE', when I thought it was on 'CURRENT TAPE'. So essentially, I renamed the VTAPE to 'LTO 001'.

(Here's the part where I messed up royally:) I attempted to rename the VTAPE (at this point, called 'LTO 001') BACK to VTAPE. However, the option for 'RENAME' under 'Menu' was grayed out. So I renamed it to VTAPE at the FINDER level. After doing this, no VTAPE showed up in the file manager at all.

I went back to the FINDER level, I renamed it to 'LTO 001'. After doing this, the VTAPE showed up again for me in the file manager, and still with the name 'LTO 001'. I still couldn't RENAME it using the MENU button in the File manager. The only option I had available to me under "MENU" was 'ERASE'. I assumed this meant the CONTENTS of the VTAPE. At this point, I was hopeful to start over, so I selected it.

Now I'm showing no VTAPE at all. Is there a way to reset the unit? I've connected the unit to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Restoring VTAPE?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:27:25 pm

Hi Aaron,

Sorry for a slow response on this query - I missed seeing it. Normally when you have a problem like this, please contact Cache-A support directly as outlined on our support page and we can help you sort out the issue.

Just as an FYI for the community - we have many warnings to not rename the VTAPE from Finder. If you do, simply eject the tape, remove the folder you created, and then reinsert the tape, everything should start working normally again. If this doesn't work, you may need to restart the tape manager under System Tools > Utilities and repeat the eject/reinsert.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Duprey
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:41:21 am

Tom, thanks for getting back to me. I actually called the support number a couple of times on the same day that I started this thread, and left a couple of messages.

My initial problem has worked itself out (ejecting and reinserting the tape did the trick).

However, I've got a couple of other issues:

External drives only show up in the file manager when connected via USB. Ideally, I'd like to connect using eSata, however none of my eSata drives appear in file manager until I attach them using their USB.

Another issue I'm having is that certain files and folders don't seem to want to archive. I've basically got all of my projects in folders on the RAID tht's attached to my Mac Pro. When I attempt to archive certain folders, nothing happens. I thought that it might have been happening due to a lack of space on the tape, but this happened today, when using a fresh tape.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:43:17 am

Hi Aaron,

Your problem with the eSATA is most likely due to the fact that we don't support Hot Swap for that connection. You should power down the Cache-A, connect the eSATA device, power it on, then boot up the Cache-A. Give that a shot and if it doesn't solve that issue, let us know.

If you are having problems with just specific folders, it is most likely a permissions issue - use Finder's get info to open them up or follow the instructions in our Tech Brief here to do that from Terminal.

Good Luck!

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401

Return to posts index

Aaron Duprey
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:28:55 pm

Thanks, Tom.

Connecting the drive via eSata, firing it up, and then turning on the Cache-A does the trick. However, I'm still not able to move certain directories to LTO Tape. I've connected the drive in question to my Mac Pro, and used Get Info on the offending folders. Looks like all users have read/write permissions. I'm in a session today, so I'm not going to get into Terminal tinkering, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
-Aaron

Return to posts index

Aaron Duprey
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:56:13 pm

Was able to do a quick log-in via Terminal on my Mac, and did a ls -la on Media/VTAPE. Attached a screen shot.

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Jan 25, 2013 at 5:43:58 pm

Hi Aaron,

Originally you stated that you had "all of my projects in folders on the RAID tht's attached to my Mac Pro" but what you've shown here are the permissions for folders already on the Cache-A share.

If you use our File Manager interface and drag and drop one or more of these folders to the current tape and nothing happens, something is clearly wrong. You might try resetting the Tape Manager (under System Tools > Utilities) and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, we'd have to do a support connect session and look into it further.

If you are doing something different and nothing happens, please describe your steps in detail.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401

Return to posts index

Aaron Duprey
on Jan 28, 2013 at 5:27:01 pm

You're right, Tom. My initial attempts to archive directly from my RAID were not working, so I moved the folders in question to the Cache-A Share via Finder, in the hopes that it would give me different results, but I'm still not able to archive them.

I reset the Tape Manager, and gave it another go (trying to archive from Cache-A Share), but 'one file/directories pending' disappears from the File manager's 'Transfer Summary' and 'Tape Status' has been showing 'pending' for about 20 minutes.

Return to posts index

Aaron Duprey
on Jan 28, 2013 at 5:45:01 pm

Tom, I figured out what the problem was. I generated a transfer log, and saw that I was getting a 'no such directory' error. I took a look at each of the directories I was having trouble with, and EACH of them contained the character "+" in the name. Removed it, and I'm good to go. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:27:57 pm

Good to know that you've figured it out Aaron. We caution against using special characters in file and folder names for a variety of reasons, but generally handle them. We will check into this particular case going forward.

Please feel free to contact Cache-A support directly the next time you have any issues.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]