FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compatibility LTO-5

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmanuel Suys
Compatibility LTO-5
on Dec 22, 2012 at 1:21:45 pm

Greetings,

Currently looking into acquiring an lto-5 system. My concern is being able to read other people's lto-5 tapes as well as them reading mine. Is this possible, or do we both must have the same lto-5 system? Or is it a software issue?

Regards

Manny

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Compatibility LTO-5
on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:52:51 pm

if the tapes are LTFS, you can. Otherwise, you cannot.
What is your application ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Suys
on Dec 22, 2012 at 11:10:35 pm

Hi,

I am currently looking into a Tandberg LTO-5 HH or a HP LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS and the software which is proposed either Retrospect or someone suggested Archiware. But still open to other solutions or combinations. Platform is primarely Mac OS but also Windows or Linux are around.

Regards

Manny

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2012 at 4:46:19 pm

Hi Manny -
since your application is primarily Mac, why not just buy BRU PE from Tolis Group, which is widely used in our industry. They sell turnkey packages, that will simply just "plug in and work".
A more expensive, but also excellent system is the Cache-A, which I install all the time, and plugs right into your network.

Either way, none of these systems will just be "compatible" with everything, unless you use LTFS, which I can assure you, most people are not doing. When people buy a system (let's just say with using Retrospect), those tapes just dont plug in to another LTO and just work. Just because the tape is the same, doesn't mean that the system is the same.

Dealing with file compatibility is the nightmare of our modern existance - this is defined by the editing and graphics codecs that we all use every day - they are all different, and they all have to be converted.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Suys
on Dec 23, 2012 at 7:06:43 pm

Hi Bob,

thanks very much for the explanation and recommendations. Very useful.
Based in Germany so need to see what is around. BRU software however looks like it may be a good solution. Soon as I am back from my travel I will look further into it.

Kind Regards

Manny, currently in Beyrouth Lebanon

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Mar 5, 2013 at 7:17:38 am

hey Emmanuel, which drive you brought finally ??

I have to sail the same way now, wondering which one to buy. help!!!!!

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Suys
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:27:12 am

Hi Pratul,

Did not get to purchase a drive yet, some last minute changes in my schedule. But upon my return end of March, I should acquire either the HP or Tandberg LTO-5, the latter I am favouring due to price. I think both are widely used. Also the BRU software is on my shopping list.

Cheers from Trinidad & Tobago

Emmanuel

--
1st Asst Cinematography - 1st Asst Kinematografie - 1er Asst Photographie Cinématographique *16-35-HD-3D *Digital On Set Supervision *bvk-SSFV *European based *Mobil +491608036889 *emmanuel at suys.de *Cinematography Mailing List Moderator - CML

Return to posts index

Pratul gaikwad
on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:18:09 am

thanks Emmanuel for the reply
i m going for HP ultrim LTO5 drive.
still thinking about bru.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]