FORUMS: list search recent posts

Searching for the Right Product

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norm Hadad
Searching for the Right Product
on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:56:40 pm

Hello friends. I am looking to purchase a new video server that will allow me to archive the video I shoot and edit. We want to make sure that it is a server with reliable backup and the ability to expand. It would be nice to be able to recall that footage to our computers for editing at any time. We edit on FCS 3 and use Adobe Creative Suite 6 (as of the new year). Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of finding a reliable server so any advice is welcome.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Searching for the Right Product
on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:40:27 pm

Here's one idea:

Server:
Apple Mac Mini Server in a Sonnet xMac mini Server 1U Rack chassis with Thunderbolt and ATTO R680 ExpressSAS RAID HBA

Disk Storage:
Ci Design 2U iR8 Mini SAS Expander w/8 Seagate 3TB Constellation drives (expandable to multiple iR8 units)

Tape archival and offline storage:
TOLIS Group Edit Bay Rack LTO-5 or LTO-6 1U Tape chassis
or
TOLIS Group TGL 2240 LTO-5 or LTO-6 24 tape library

This provides the OS X infrastructure that you know, fits in 4U or 5U of rack space, provides 21TB of RAID 5 disk storage (expandable to multiple iR8s) and either a single tape or up to 60TB of nearline tape capacity. It also leaves a full length, full height PCIe slot available for something like a RED Rocket or a multi-port 10GB Ethernet HBA.

Tim

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:15:14 pm

Hi Norm,
what is your budget for this project for the server with archive ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Norm Hadad
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:20:09 pm

I would imagine our cap is around the $50,000 mark but I'm just speculating. We do not need any of this for realtime playback or live television. This is straight archiving and retrieval on a 3-5 computer network.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 19, 2012 at 1:36:51 am

I have discussed shared storage system in the SAN Nework forum on Creative Cow many times. $50,000 is a lot of money to work with - this will enable you to purchase any shared storage system that you like. Tim and I have suggested a budget way of doing this, but with $50k, you can choose from any manufacturer.

Either way, a shared storage system does not come complete with Archive (LTO tape backup). This is an add on component to any system. BRU PE from Tolis Group is an excellent solution no matter what vendor you choose for your shared storage. BRU PE can be used by hooking up directly to an ATTO disk drive host adaptor card with an LTO drive, or you can use a Mac Mini as a "dedicated server" for LTO Archive Backup using BRU PE. The suggestion that Tim outlined in his original post uses a Mac Mini in a Sonnet xMac expansion chassis, that allows you to install an ATTO H380 card, to control a LTO-5 tape drive. Once this is configured, you can plug in the Mac Mini ethernet port into your network switch of your shared storage system, and allow the LTO-5 to archive from your shared volume, or anyone on the network. IT's a great solution, and Tolis Group offers wonderful "turnkey" packages that allow you to "get all the right parts" all in one place, instead of picking pieces from this vendor, and that vendor.

As for the shared storage system itself, as I have mentioned on the SAN Network Forum - there are many vendors to choose from, that will all do an excellent job for you -
they include -
AVID ISIS 5000
Facilis Terrablock
EditShare
Maxx Digital Final Share
Studio Network Solutions SANmp
Small Tree Granite Stor
ProMax Platform
Apace Systems
Cal Digit Super Share (and Accusys ExaSan)
Archiware
And custom configured systems that use software from -
Tiger Technology MetaLAN
Command Soft Fibre Jet (usually purchased from Rorke Data)
and of course Apple XSAN.

Which one is right for you - it's all on your requirements, and your budget. They all work. And they all can be configured with an archive solution from Tolis Group using the BRU PE software and an LTO-5 tape drive.

Have you heard of any of the brands I have mentioned in this response to you ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Norm Hadad
on Dec 19, 2012 at 9:26:46 pm

I have not, but that doesn't mean much because I am very new to this search. All of your help is valuable and appreciated. I have been passing this up the chain and talking to the people that work with our system to see if the fit is right. I want this transition to be easy but I also want this workflow to be exactly what we need.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 19, 2012 at 10:46:36 pm

if you are in the mood, you can email me at
maxavid@cfl.rr.com
and I can answer anything that you might want to know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]