FORUMS: list search recent posts

The wheels on the archive bus go round and round

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Fitzpatrick
The wheels on the archive bus go round and round
on May 1, 2011 at 7:17:46 pm

I am basically a one-man HD production company offering script to screen corporate production. I am not a technology geek.

Sitting on the archive fence has cost me lost assets and weeks of time.

The solutions I've sought regarding archiving have led me to LTO-5. I'll likely make that investment but am very unsettled about the cost and mechanics. In any event, I don't believe anyone is making a strong effort on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of folks like me whose man hours and money are particularly precious.

My usual vendor strongly suggests Cache-A or Storage DNA.

Do you have a moment to review my notion of work flow as it pertains to archiving? In addition, can you share your thoughts regarding AVX and how it applies to those of us making a living outside "The Enterprise" who must put our archival concerns to rest?

The following is clearly over-simplified regarding detailed steps but represents NLE work flow fairly accurately, at least in my shop.

• Return from the field and ingest assets to NLE
• Save media to LTO
• Edit project, adding music, graphics and other non-time code media
• Store those post production assets to LTO
• Complete project and create uncompressed QT master
• Copy to LTO
• Save the project folder
• Place the LTO(s) in the library
• Optionally back-up to a second LTO

Both Cache-A and Storage DNA offer varying LTO solutions from single tape to robotic tape management. Prices begin in the neighborhood of $8,000 with (seemingly mandatory) soft/firmware agreements adding well over a grand more. The robotics adds four or five thousand to the price and more dratted mechanics.

Now I ask, is there a better way? Will there be a better way soon enough that using spinning drives will work for now? If LTO, can't something less expensive be acquired and used by a non-geek? (sorry geeks) For example, an LTO appliance such as HP in concert with Media Mover or some such tool and possibly data base software to manage the assets but not overbuilt for collaboration like Storage DNA's solution.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: The wheels on the archive bus go round and round
on May 2, 2011 at 1:51:56 am

Looks reasonable to me. You can also look at BRU PE. It might be less overkill for a single user.

http://www.productionbackup.com/info/bundles.php

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: The wheels on the archive bus go round and round
on May 2, 2011 at 2:19:44 am

Cache-A Prime is around $6000 now. Next to that I recommend a BluRay writer if 50GB per disk and a much slower read/write would work for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]