FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive of Broadcast material in h.264???

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tawqeer Mirza
Archive of Broadcast material in h.264???
on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:16:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm part of an up and coming International broadcaster and pretty soon we'll be among the many corporations moving to a complete tapeless environment. We have material from the past 20 years that is sitting on Betacam SP, DvCam and HDCAM that we've decided to back-up using 'APPLE PRO RES 422(LT)' as the best compromise between storage space and quality preservation (any thoughts welcome on whether this is the best solution).
For the not-so important material... things we may or may-not use in the future; I've been thinking of archiving them in h.264 to save even more space. I would like to ask the International community if this is a wise thing to do. Would conversion of ProRes 422(LT) to h.264 and back lose significant amounts of quality? Or is there a better option out there? Thank you to everyone in advance.

kind regards,

Tawqeer

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Archive of Broadcast material in h.264???
on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:56:47 am

[Tawqeer Mirza] " Would conversion of ProRes 422(LT) to h.264 and back lose significant amounts of quality?"

Yes.

Sorry, but serious quality loss when converting between compression codecs is a fact of life.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Archive of Broadcast material in h.264???
on Dec 12, 2012 at 7:47:25 pm

Not wanting to sound like a broken record about tape-based archival, and it's just a thought, but if you can add an LTO drive to your system, you can archive your raw data at full res and never have to worry about loss of fidelity.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]