FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTFS first time set-up questions.

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Mahavier
LTFS first time set-up questions.
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:28:34 pm

So I've done a little reading up LTFS and am at the point of just going for it and seeing how it goes. Totally noncritical for now, of course, but at some point the best thing to do is just try it out. But I do have two questions that I can't seem to answer on my own right now.

I have found 3 options for setting up LTFS on Mac OSX. Quantum, HP, and IBM. Is one preferred over the other? Is there another that would be better? I do have a Quantum Scalar i40 that I will be using for this. But do I need to use the Quantum implementation of LTFS, or would one of the others work?

And if I have some backup software already installed on the system, like Retrospect lets say, will installing LTFS cause problems with that?

Thank you for any insight on this that you can give me.

Jay Mahavier

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: LTFS first time set-up questions.
on Nov 9, 2012 at 8:30:44 pm

You need to use the LTFS code for your vendor's drives. They are tied to the firmware inquiry vendor string.

As for other software, Retrospect is definitely an issue because their device daemon grabs the drive and refuses to share it with other processes. You'll need to completely disable the RetroRun daemon (or whatever they may be calling it in the latest version).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Nov 9, 2012 at 9:28:01 pm

Thank you very much. Good to know. I was suspecting as much. I'm already prepping a second boot drive to do the testing with that will not have any other backup software running on it.

Jay

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 9, 2012 at 9:31:26 pm

The same problem does not apply to any of our BRU products, we share nicely :-).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]