FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media corrupted during back-up, recovery advice needed

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Ogden
Media corrupted during back-up, recovery advice needed
on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:27:17 am

Hi Folks,

I was in the process of backing up a big three-day-shoot project, I was essentially copying over the entire Final Cut Scratch disk (Final Cut "Event", im in fcpx) and project files to another hard drive.

40mins into the finder level copy an error along the line of "file xxxxx could not be copied because it cannot be read" and the transfer process stopped.

somewhere within this transfer 90% of the original media in the Scratch got thrown away (not visible), none of it copied to the new location.

I used Disk Drill, to try and recover the missing files which it did a reasonable job at and I'm now missing only 30% of the original media, thing is I'm pretty sure I can see the rest, Disk Drill renamed everything so I can't go by filename but they are there and they do have equatable file sizes, but the thumbnails dont show anything and quicktime just cant read them.

Any ideas on how I might recover this footage?
also I may be getting ahead of myself but seeing as Disk Drill renamed them all is there a solution to reconnecting them in FCPX?

thanks as always

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Media corrupted during back-up, recovery advice needed
on Nov 7, 2012 at 12:50:03 pm

Have you tried running Disk Warrior to see whether it is a corrupt directory issue?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Luke Ogden
on Nov 7, 2012 at 2:46:55 pm

I don't own nor I have I used Disk Warrior but I'm willing to give it a go and buy it if it may mean getting the footage back. Are the results likely to be better than with the Disk Drill utility I used? I'm guessing Disk Warrior is the industry standard/recommended software.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:30:00 pm

Whenever my RAID or any of my internal SATA drives (in my MacPro) "disappear," Disk Warrior has been able to recover them.

I have no idea at all as to whether it will help you. You may want to do more sleuthing online. But DW has never hurt me, as far as I know; and it has been very helpful on occasion.

Good luck.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:40:04 pm

Bob Cole is correct.
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]