FORUMS: list search recent posts

internal hard drive readers/enclosures...?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Wilber
internal hard drive readers/enclosures...?
on Oct 19, 2012 at 2:26:25 am

I've been using internal hard drives and popping them into a voyager drive mount. Really like doing this as I can slowly build up my storage and its pretty cheap.

One thing I don't like is that if you have multiple drive mounts daisy chained, and you eject a drive it kills the connection flow. A normal hard drive you can shut it off but the connection still remains.

Does anyone know of mounts that I can eject hard drives out and it won't disrupt my daisychain flow? Or are there any good enclosure systems where I can just pop in hard drives in and out easily?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: internal hard drive readers/enclosures...?
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:13:03 pm

That's the problem with disk drives in this scenario - the default OS drivers expect them to be single entities, so if you pop a drive, it's no longer available so the OS drops it.

One solution (assuming your editing software can handle it) is to create a folder in your user folder and then place symlinks (not Aliases) via the Terminal in that folder that point to your volumes. For instance:

Your physical disks are named:
Shots Drive A
Shots Drive B
Shots Drive F

In your user's folder, create a folder named "Drive Links"
Open the Terminal and cd into that folder
cd ~/Drive\ Links
Mount your drives in sequence
Create the symlinks
sudo ln -s /Volumes/Shots\ Drive\ A ./Shots\ Drive\ A
(repeat for each drive as you mount it changing A to B, C, you get the pattern) )

As you mount each volume, it's symlink will become a valid target, but when you eject each drive, the symlink remains and yourapplictions won't get a notice that the drive has gone offline.

I can't promise that this will work for all applications, but it does for Smoke 13, After Effects, and Premiere Pro (it doesn't for FCP X because of their dependence on physical drives) and it works for most other "general" apps.

HTH,

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]