FORUMS: list search recent posts

cache-a

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dempsey
cache-a
on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:02:28 pm

I am charged with managing video assets in a concert/touring context. basically, SD video is recorded on the road via ki pro's and I then transfer to external drives, while using catdv as the cataloging database. since we're starting this workflow from scratch, I am scaling our infrastructure as necessity dictates. I'd like to have shows stored on accessible external drives and I'm now looking at the redundant archival layer that LTO would provide. Though we may decide to scale up in the future, this is not a networked environment; I have a dedicated mac pro for minor editing and archiving. So, I'm wondering if the Prime Cache-a is overkill for my basic needs, given that I also want a scalable solution? Is this appliance designed specifically for networked applications, and is it just as useful for standalone archiving?

any feedback is much appreciated,

Brian

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: cache-a
on Apr 28, 2011 at 9:47:49 pm

Brian, thanks for post. IMO a Prime-Cache would be ideal for your application and not overkill at all (of course, full disclosure, I am biased).

While you would attach one of our boxes to your CatDV workstation via GbE network, this gives you a great deal of flexibility even when other users aren't involved. First, you'd get a drop point to archive any data you have that isn't tracked by CatDV, and everything goes into our catalog for easy searching regardless of whether it is a video asset put there by CatDV or a 3d model or an expense report you decided to archive. You'd also have the flexibility to direct connect those external drives to the Prime-Cache and migrate your data to tape without even going through your Mac.

And because our solutions scale up to full automated libraries, you can track as much shelf-stored media as you want and know that it will work in libraries whenever you're ready.

As to stand-alone applications, while we require a network, it can be as simple as 1 ethernet cable between your Mac and the Cache-A.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Brian Dempsey
Re: cache-a
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:44:51 pm

I appreciate your feedback Tom and it sounds like the prime cache can fit what I'm interested in; and the direct connect between the appliance and drives is a bit plus.

thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]