FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATTO Drivers are now available!

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Jones
ATTO Drivers are now available!
on Oct 15, 2012 at 7:41:21 pm

Hi Gang,

The ATTO Drivers t fix issues with Thunderbolt and Ivy-Bridge Mac Book Pro systems are now available for download. We've tested them with both affected systems (mostly Mac Book Pros) and normal systems (older MBPs, Mac Pros, and Mac Minis) and they work very well.

All devices are updated - R680, H680, Celerity, and 10GbE.

http://www.attotech.com

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
Re: ATTO Drivers are now available!
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:21:53 pm

Are the R380's ok also ? Need these drivers ?

ta

s

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:39:31 pm

Hi Simon,

The ATTO 3Gb series cards are not supported on Thunderbolt.

They've been end of life for a couple of years and there's been no new drivers for quite a while.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:43:31 pm

Shame. Mine are still going strong!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:27:07 am

It's not a shame Simon. You should know better. Products have a 3-4 year life - and that's it. The ATTO R380 is now listed under "discontinued products". All of your 3g drive arrays (the arrays that 80% of our industry owns, including most of my clients) are now obsolete. "Everyone" is using 6g technology (ATTO R680, ATTO H680, Areca 1882x, etc.) with 6g drives and enclosures. And you know what Simon, 12g is on the way, so products that have only been released since March 2011 will SOON BE OBSOLETE. That's our wonderful hi tech industry. Just like computers. Can't put 6g drives in HP Z800 computers ! I just worked on my clients 1,1 Mac Pro today (32 bit only) and it aint' gonna work with OS X Lion or Mountain Lion or new 64 bit drivers. TOUGH ! And it ain't me saying that - it's Apple - and all the other manufacturers. They want YOUR MONEY - and guess what - they are going to get it - like it or not.

Don't worry however, your 3g drives in your RAID chassis that are working with your ATTO R380 will all fail within the next 3 years, and you won't be able to replace them, and the 6g drives will be incompatible, even though they claim to be 3g backwards compatible.

This is the world that I live in.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:44:16 pm

Hi all,

I felt it worth mentioning that I know several solutions in the field that are still going strong.
Were going on 4 years now since Small Tree first released ST RAID (3gb SAS) shared NAS storage.
I've updated a few folks with R680s to get a little more performance out of their3gb drives. (20-25% better performance.)

Small Tree still offers some 3gb product. (while supplies last) but most are obviously going for 6gb products if they can.

They both still work if your using them under supported configurations. I'm starting to see more places budgeting more for their shared storage installs and upgrades to plan for the future. I keep seeing an increase with teams coming up with 3yr plans to keep things going too, so that's always promising.

Just remember as long as you can get support from the provider, users should continue to have confidence that old and new stuff will work. (assuming the provider knows it will for certain or at least has a plan to support you if something goes wrong on the older gear.)

Just my $0.02

:)

Matt Geier
(Video Networking Solutions Expert)
(Creative Design Workflow Consultant)
(Social Media Networks Consultant)
(Technical Video Industry Sales Consultant)

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Dec 15, 2012 at 10:07:11 am

Whens the 12Gig stuff coming then ?

Yeah I hear ya Bob!.. Hence buying spare chassis and drives now as the R380 is a great card still.

Return to posts index

Christian Van Hanja
on Dec 27, 2012 at 7:51:03 pm

drivers works with R380 = http://www.attotech.com/software/files/drivers/osx_drv_esasraid_401.dmg

Return to posts index

Todd Dalton
on Sep 29, 2015 at 8:42:23 pm

Christian: how did you get the R380 drivers to run on Yosemite? I downloaded the link and used the Atto Config tool to install them but with no luck.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 29, 2015 at 9:20:40 pm

You have to install under 10.8.5 or earlier. When you update to 10.9 or 10.10, the driver continues to work since Apple doesn't replace that driver like they do the H680/R680. Unfortunately, 10.11 has removed the driver when we tested updating since it's not properly signed for the new system.

As for 12Gb SAS, unless Apple changes their bus and adds PCIe 3.0 support, you'll not be seeing it on the Mac.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]