FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cache-A Pro-Cache 'Drive' and 'Tape' lights flashing amber

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Sullivan
Cache-A Pro-Cache 'Drive' and 'Tape' lights flashing amber
on Sep 18, 2012 at 3:21:12 pm

Hello,

Has anyone else had an issue with the 'drive' and 'tape' lights flashing on their Pro-Cache? I've been unable to find what exactly these lights indicated (with any detail) on either Cache-A or HP's site.
My troubles began when I, foolishly, overfilled a LTO tape during an archive. I then tried to restore a different tape back to the VTAPE.
Ever since I have had the flashing drive and tape lights. Any tape I insert (I've tried a few) gets ejected and sucked back in about 10 times before it spits it out for good. I have tried rebooting the Pro-Cache, shutting down and unplugging the Pro-Cache and using an Universal LTO Cleaning Tape to try and resolve the issue.
Anyone else have this occur? Any solutions?
We are running system version 2.0.22 currently.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

-Ryan

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Cache-A Pro-Cache 'Drive' and 'Tape' lights flashing amber
on Sep 18, 2012 at 9:48:58 pm

Ryan,

You will be hearing directly from our support engineer on this shortly. FYI, it is very unlikely that overfilling a tape had any direct cause of this issue.

For the rest of the forum, multiple flashing lights on an HP LTO tape drive almost always indicates some kind of hardware fault. This may be transient and could clear with a reboot or may be something more serious.

One common cause to be suspicious of is cabling - the SAS connector on the back of the drive, and that cable's power and connection to the SAS card are all always worth checking.

If a restart and a cable reseat doesn't clear up the problem, such multiple LED flashing probably means a tape drive failure and it will have to be replaced.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Sullivan
Re: Cache-A Pro-Cache 'Drive' and 'Tape' lights flashing amber
on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:25:07 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your quick response.
I did in fact hear from Chris from Cache-A support and he was a big help. As you both suspected, once I simple reseated the data cable to the tape drive, everything was back to normal.
Thank you again for providing support for a product we have found to be essencial and incredibly reliable!

-Ryan

Penny Bridge Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]