FORUMS: list search recent posts

Amazon Glacier

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
Amazon Glacier
on Aug 21, 2012 at 7:21:08 pm

Anyone heard of Amazon Glacier? Sounds like it might be pretty good for long term archival solutions.

I wanted to try it out but from this article it appears that, "It is worth noting that typical end-users can't directly start using Amazon Glacier. They must wait until their favourite backup/ file-transfer application adds Amazon Glacier support. The enterprising can use the Amazon Glacier API to build their own solutions." so I might have to wait a while.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Amazon Glacier
on Sep 1, 2012 at 2:11:44 pm

Cyberduck might support it soon.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Aaron Brenner
on Sep 5, 2012 at 10:04:08 pm

Try "Fast Glacier" if you're on Windows... http://fastglacier.com/

We're evaluating "Arq" right now for Mac. We have about 70 TB to back up, and LTO-5 is slow and costly. $50 per 1.5 TB tape. (then add Iron Mountain storage costs). Arq, however, is not yet compatible with Glacie... but IS for S3.

Let me know if that helps...

___
@hey_aaron on Twitter

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Sep 15, 2012 at 10:16:27 pm

I believe it is incorrect to call LTO either slow or costly.

At $50 per 1.5 TB tape, the cost is 3.2 cents per gigabyte (LTO-5 tapes can now be found for $40 and will continue downward to about $25 over the next year)

Amazon Glacier storage is 1 cent per gigabyte per month, S3 costs even more, and with both you have to pay additional transaction costs to get your data back.

LTO tapes last 30 years which works out to less than .00001 cents per gigabyte per month. And you don't have to store them in Iron Mountain, any cool dry place will do. You can even make two copies, store them in separate locations and have the same level of protection as many movie studios for media costs that are less than 6 months of Amazon storage costs.

LTO-5 tape drives can archive data at 140MB/s - that is much faster than even an average 2 disk drive RAID0 and orders of magnitude faster than trying to get your data down some pipe to cloud storage.

There are many reasons to use cloud storage - speed and cost are not among them today

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]